Skip to main content
Topic: Another new member (Read 512 times) previous topic - next topic

Another new member

Hi, all
My name's Mike and I have a 1988 (or technically '87) Gold GTGI 16V. I say "technically" because that's when it was built but it wasn't registered until '88 because it was one of the cars on the quayside when the "hurricane" of 1987 came over and deposited tons of sand, shale etc etc on top of them. As you probably know, the cars were recovered and sent to the dealer network for refurbishment and resale. (I'm sure it was a bit more complicated than that...) and mine ended up with a garage near Evesham, from where I bought it, nicely repaired and at a good discount, with 24 miles on the clock in September 1988. It was my regular drive until six years or so ago when difficulty in getting parts and service (my local VW main dealer was doing more harm than good...) led me to get a newer car for the donkey work and keep the Golf for high days and holidays, also to rectify some of the issues that 30 years inevitably cause.
Two years ago it failed its MOT on a few relatively minor points; none of the local garages wanted to know so I decided it was time to put it on a SORN, bone up on the mechanics and get my hands dirty. As I said, that was two years ago. One of the problems I fixed fairly easily (though I haven't been able to road test it) but I stalled at the second; as is often the case the car got pushed into the garage and, not exactly forgotten but.. I'm now determined to get the thing back on the road and have posted a query elsewhere on this site. Wish me luck!

Re: Another new member

Reply #1
Hi Mike. Welcome, and no I wasn't aware of the issues surrounding the 87 storm. Although I remember the storm, I was a teenager, and it makes perfect sense thinking about it. Interesting that it created that delay between build and register date for some.

As for the rest of your story, plenty of advice and knowledgeable people on here to help out.

Reply #2
Hi welcome as an oldie I remember the storm. There should be plenty of willing help to ressurect  your car. Plenty of advice here and loads of garages willing to work on classics.
scs

Reply #3
Hej och välkommen till klubben!

Reply #4
Welcome along
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v