Skip to main content
Topic: Broadband Speeds... (Read 915 times) previous topic - next topic

Broadband Speeds...

This is probably going to be a form of self torture and really, really tick me off when I find out what some of the rest of you are getting, but here goes... What speed are you getting?

By way of explaination, we get a colossal 2 Mbps (on a good day) which quite often drops to below 1 Mbps.

Re: Broadband Speeds...

Reply #1
Wow!
I was on holiday in Cornwall last week, the local wireless claimed 5mb, but it kicked me off most of the time.
My home is around 50ish.

A friend has just moved to a brand new build and went for the super fast stuff...900Mbps!!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
I used to have Virgin fibre 200mbps, but dropped it down to 100Mbps to save a few quid. And you get what they promise, if not more, and not a vague 'up to' speed. I've just run a test to prove it and am currently getting bang on 100.

It's still ridiculously expensive and I'd love to leave them but the alternative is old BT copper wire, which although claiming 'up to' 70, I think I was lucky to see 20.

I've been WFH since March 2020 and the one thing in my favour is I've had zero connection issues, whilst I know others in the team have had a harder time staying connected. My Boss is always looking for things to pull me up on so I'm glad that's been stable and not anything he's been able to complain about and force me back into the office.

The kids are adults now, and I think as a family our usage is probably quite high. One is a gamer and the other always on Facetime and streaming TV. Nearly all our telly is streamed, I don't think we watch anything live these days. There was a time when I'd have to shout up the stairs to get Jacob off his Xbox so I could watch a film on Amazon without it buffering.

Reply #3
I hate you!

You're right... they scam you with the 'up to' proviso.

Our contract states they're obligated to provide between 0.5 and up to 2 Mbps, so even when it refuses to work at the lower level they're covered. Doesn't stop them charging us the same as someone getting the full 30Mbps the package allows for, gangsters.

Reply #4
BT FTTC, 80 down 20 up with a 'stay fast' guarantee of 63, it always hits 80/20 but I'm lucky though as the cabinet is 50 metres away.

Reply #5
You can go off people!

Reply #7
When the house signal dies we have to hot-spot from someones mobile.

O2's the only provider we can get 4G from in this area and at best that's around 8 Mbps, but quite often that'll drop off too.

What got me thinking about this again recently was we'd an engineer out from a satelite wi-fi outfit, turns out they've several masts in the general area and one's about a mile from us.

He couldn't even pick up their mast, let alone get a signal... apparently needs to be a clear line of sight to work and too many trees around us. How many homes have nothing around them for a mile?

Paid a £100 inspection fee to find that out, despite them assuring me on the phone it was just a formality... not happy at all.

There's a possibility we're to get fibre in mid 2023, but believe that when it happens.

Reply #9
fish out the chain saw and clear a path to the mast.

Reply #10
Just done a test via wifi from my phone and getting 13MB down 1MB up. I'm still wfh and have my laptop hardwired into the router so get a better more reliable connection.
In the early days of COVID I ended up working from my Mum's house for 2 weeks. She doesn't have broadband so I was tethered to my phone for the duration (Giffgaff £20 goody bag).
I didn't do any speed tests but it was a good enough connection for Zoom video calls etc and allowed me to continue working. Funny thing is that prior to that I'd regularly have issues searching Google on my phone when I was there!
What's the performance if you tether to your phone?....just re-read your post..8MB at best.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #11
We are with Virgin and I've just run a test. On my computer which is hard wired I'm getting110 down and 10 up.
My phone says its getting 150 on the wifi.
We pay £44 for just internet. We don't have a landline.
Phil
All sorts of stuff done, lots more to do!

Reply #12
It's nowhere near the same as water, electricity etc. and I'm not going to be melodramatic about it but so much is better done (or increasingly can only be done) with decent internet access that not having it genuinely impacts on your day to day life.

Can only download SKY films in SD and even then have to plan what we want to see in advance so it can downloaded overnight when we're asleep.

Youtube is 480p only and often less / unobtainable.

Amazon isn't so bad, but again depending on time of day, buffers like mad.

Had thought about moving, but be worried the wife might find out where I've gone!

Reply #13
It's nowhere near the same as water, electricity etc. and I'm not going to be melodramatic about it but so much is better done (or increasingly can only be done) with decent internet access that not having it genuinely impacts on your day to day life.

Can only download SKY films in SD and even then have to plan what we want to see in advance so it can downloaded overnight when we're asleep.

Youtube is 480p only and often less / unobtainable.

Amazon isn't so bad, but again depending on time of day, buffers like mad.

Had thought about moving, but be worried the wife might find out where I've gone!
Where are you?
Phil
All sorts of stuff done, lots more to do!

Reply #14
County Antrim, N. Ireland... only about 6 miles from the center of Antrim town itself.