Skip to main content
Topic: Build sticker  (Read 705 times) previous topic - next topic

Build sticker

I’m just piecing together a build sticker for my Mk2 8v 5 door. There isn’t a sticker in the service book unfortunately.

I’ve got most of it together now but how many options are there as a lot perhaps not applicable and not shown on sticker
Dolomite Sprint, Alpina B10 Touring, Omega 3.0 MV6, MK2 GTi 8v 5 door (J reg), Alpine white Mk1 Campaign

Re: Build sticker

Reply #1
try entering build sticker in the search options vw widow has a post on options giving the reference number there are other posts listing available options.
scs

Reply #2
I’m having a look - lots of good info around on this. I’m trying to recreate mine sticker as nothing in service book and it’s been peeled off car - see adhesive where it’s been in past.

I’m surprised that some options like steel sunroof and tinted glass not shown as option whilst steel wheels were 🤷🏼‍♂️ - maybe they were standard spec for UK Gti for that year (1991)

…..But it mentions door mirrors etc as an option - very strange
Dolomite Sprint, Alpina B10 Touring, Omega 3.0 MV6, MK2 GTi 8v 5 door (J reg), Alpine white Mk1 Campaign

Reply #3
Maybe it's suppose to be heated or electric door mirrors

Reply #4
Have you seen these links?

Build sticker explanation.
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=18.0

Option codes.
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=45.0

Upholstery codes.
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=35.0

It does sometimes seem odd what things are listed when other things are not, but as mentioned above each model has its own specific set of standard criteria. The production line would be set for a GTI for example where a sunroof is standard so it’s only the items that are either customer chosen optional extras (such as upgraded alloys rather that stock steels) that are listed or destination related variables such as UK spec documentation wallet and owners handbook.

You can apply to VW history department and purchase a ‘birth certificate’ which will display the factory build list codes that would have been on the sticker.

End of the day though, if you’re reproducing one without knowing, no one is really going to pull you up on it if it isn’t 100% accurate.

Reply #5
Your signature says your car's a 'J' plate 8v.

Mines a very late, end of production '91, 8v, also originally on a 'J' plate (registered Jan. '92).

You sometimes see them referred to as 'run out models' and carried a few items as standard that had previously been optional kit - VW's attempt to tempt buyers to buy the last MK2's prior to the new MK3's arrival.

Our cars may well be very similar in spec. as a result.

Put this image up elsewhere, and here it is again - shows all my option codes, and maybe they're yours too?

I was able to decipher 99.9% of them using a combination of Eddypecks list and some others on the inter-web.

If I can find the original post it had a link to a German seller who made me up new boot / service book stickers (they're slightly different from one another).

Again it was EddyP who initially found him, but as the image maybe shows he's good at what he does. There's others have appeared since, though can't vouch for them.