Skip to main content
Topic: Build dates... (Read 1200 times) previous topic - next topic

Build dates...

My car's one of the run out models and registered in January 1992, so I always knew it was from the end of MK2 production.

I've decided to replace the oil cooler and while looking into what that involves, it's possible I've the oil filter / cooler bracket from the MK3 fitted.

It has a slightly different profile to the images of MK2 ones I've found on-line, plus an extra threaded hole which is blanked off with a bolt. Two of the holes accept the oil temp. and oil pressure senders.

I already think the car has a MK3 fuse box and I'm pretty confident the bracket and it are both original to the car, not added later.

I obviously can't confirm anything, but it's a plausible explaination there was cross over of interchangable MK2 / 3 parts in that final period.

Anyhow got me wondering just when my car was actually made as opposed to registered.

I don't have a factory / museum certificate which would probaly save all the hassle, maybe someday but they're quite expensive, so have tried to work it out for myself.

I did this years ago for the MK1 and from what I can remember of that the MK2 data sticker is just an evolution of the earlier cars and presumably can be deciphered in much the same way.

If you look at your data sticker in the boot the very top line will start 1222 (or similar) then a break followed by a series of numbers in this format -

35-5-0226 (mine)

The 35-5 part is what you're after.

35 is the production week and 5 the day of that week.

In my case we already know it's a 1991 car, not to be confused with model year, (which for me is 'N' - 1992) and I think run between 1st August and 31st July each year.

The production weeks are calculated from January 1st of each year and the days of the week run from a Monday to Sunday.

There's on-line calculators that'll tell you the week numbers for a given year, for me week 35 of 1991 commenced Monday 26th August and ended Sunday 1st September.

If Monday 26th is day 1 then day 5 is Friday.

This should mean my actual build date was Friday 30th of August 1991.

I can't find a definitive reference that states when MK2 production ended, the closest is on VWHeritages history of the MK2 who just say in October 1991.

Rubjonny has an old post on ClubGTI where he says the final chassis number was 300000.

Mines approx 225000 short of that - is it possible they could have made that many during September and October, worldwide maybe?

Re: Build dates...

Reply #1
My car's one of the run out models and registered in January 1992, so I always knew it was from the end of MK2 production.

I've decided to replace the oil cooler and while looking into what that involves, it's possible I've the oil filter / cooler bracket from the MK3 fitted.

It has a slightly different profile to the images of MK2 ones I've found on-line, plus an extra threaded hole which is blanked off with a bolt. Two of the holes accept the oil temp. and oil pressure senders.

I already think the car has a MK3 fuse box and I'm pretty confident the bracket and it are both original to the car, not added later.

I obviously can't confirm anything, but it's a plausible explaination there was cross over of interchangable MK2 / 3 parts in that final period.

Anyhow got me wondering just when my car was actually made as opposed to registered.

I don't have a factory / museum certificate which would probaly save all the hassle, maybe someday but they're quite expensive, so have tried to work it out for myself.

I did this years ago for the MK1 and from what I can remember of that the MK2 data sticker is just an evolution of the earlier cars and presumably can be deciphered in much the same way.

If you look at your data sticker in the boot the very top line will start 1222 (or similar) then a break followed by a series of numbers in this format -

35-5-0226 (mine)

The 35-5 part is what you're after.

35 is the production week and 5 the day of that week.

In my case we already know it's a 1991 car, not to be confused with model year, (which for me is 'N' - 1992) and I think run between 1st August and 31st July each year.

The production weeks are calculated from January 1st of each year and the days of the week run from a Monday to Sunday.

There's on-line calculators that'll tell you the week numbers for a given year, for me week 35 of 1991 commenced Monday 26th August and ended Sunday 1st September.

If Monday 26th is day 1 then day 5 is Friday.

This should mean my actual build date was Friday 30th of August 1991.

I can't find a definitive reference that states when MK2 production ended, the closest is on VWHeritages history of the MK2 who just say in October 1991.

Rubjonny has an old post on ClubGTI where he says the final chassis number was 300000.

Mines approx 225000 short of that - is it possible they could have made that many during September and October, worldwide maybe?

Hello, quick question on this @L90E
What does the '5G' after the KW output correspond to on a MK2?

Reply #2
Only a guess... possible 5 gears?

Gear is 'Getriebe' in German.

Reply #4
5 speed = 5 gang in German
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #6
Evening all!

Looking over this info again...

Has anyone got a a clue what the first 4 numbers on the sticker are?

The one above is 1222

I've seen 1036/1536/1031 etc...