Skip to main content
Topic: Vacuum (Read 638 times) previous topic - next topic

Vacuum

Im working on a mk2 golf gti, theres a breather/vacuum pipe on the right side of engine, theres a small valcum pipe and a big pipe goes into it then there is nothong goes onto the other bit but its sucking air.. car runs bad but when blocked it runs good? Any idea what goes to it? Thanks alot.. new the this fourm 

Re: Vacuum

Reply #1
Bad news, better news.
Undertook inspection of my GTi (1990 digi) saw nothing remotely like your errant vacuum piping stemming from right hand side of engine? Wonder if your car has been subject of a ‘modification’ in its past?
However, while under bonnet spotted corroded starter motor connection, now sorted.

Reply #2
Hi presume you mean right side as in drivers side? there are 2 pipes that are quite short in the vacuum system they are both blocked with what appears to be a rivet.
scs

Reply #3
First off what GTI?

Early 8v - K-jet, EV engine code.
Late 8v - Digi, PB engine code.
16v - K-jet KR.

and is it UK spec? other countries had further different variants.

By right hand side, I would take that as the right hand side of the engine when standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay, in which case that would be the passenger side (on a Uk spec RHD car) or in other words, gearbox side.

I know on a 8v k-jet, on the gearbox side, at the top to the right of the inlet manifold there is a shaped vac pipe that has a thick part and a thin part if that's what you mean.

Reply #4
Had another gander at my 1990 digi GTi in light of Eddypeck’s comments.
My car has a ‘thick’ pipe exiting inlet manifold at right hand side when viewing from front of vehicle. This alters profile into two ongoing smaller pipes. The larger of the two (black) services the brake servo and the much smaller translucent pipe heads back into the bulkhead and links to the multi-functional indicator.
Hope this assists.