Skip to main content
Topic: 17's on a mk2? (Read 2160 times) previous topic - next topic

17's on a mk2?

Just wanted to put this out there.. how does everyone feel about 17s on a mk2? I'm kinda torn myself I personally think 16s probably suit better but have some 17 azevs im ummm-ing and ahhh-ing about.. like I said just putting it out there looking for pics and opinions.. cheers.

Re: 17's on a mk2?

Reply #1
What profile elastic band do you put on 17's?
I'd be worried of scuffing the rims or damaging the wheels in pot holes.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
When I got mine it was on 17s. I wasn’t too sure at first, especially as it has budget coilovers too. But the ride is not as harsh as I expected, it’s on par with my stock Mk5 GTI on standard 18” monza for firmness and comfort.

I’ve previously always thought anything bigger than 15 was wrong but due to cash flow I’ll be keeping my current set up for the foreseeable future.

They’re not the style I would normally go for, and they have a lot of rim rash (was how they came unfortunately).

They fit well and never rub. I’ve got the receipt for when they were purchased by a previous owner in my file.

So when I get chance (remind me) I’ll check the spec and offset.

Tyres are 205/40 17 I think. The tyre fitter hated me as there’s not a lot of give in the sidewalls.

Take a look at my thread for more pics
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=118.0

Reply #3
They look decent on yours pal.. what tyres did you go with and how much a corner?

Reply #4
Most things with me are done on a budget, so when it comes to tyres I need to make some compromises, I don't want to spend stupid money but I want something at least half decent that won't cost the earth.

I've looked up and I was wrong with the size, they are actually 195/40 ZR17.

I bought off eBay and the local tyre place charge £12 +VAT per wheel to fit (they used to do £10 a wheel for cash - but as in another post about their MOTs they're not as freindly as they used to be).

What I got was Hankook Ventus S1 Evo, they had pretty good reviews.

Wet grip C (but they are sold as a summer tyre)
MPG C
Noise 71db

The main bonus is the sidewall has a bit of a lip so there's some rim protection, although it's too late for these wheels the rims are already mashed lol.

I paid £237.20 delivered, and £57.60 fitting and balancing, so £294.80 all in.

Reply #5
I run 17 x 7.5 wheels on my daily, don't really have any issues with them other than the steering being very heavy - non power steering car so to be expected. I've got Bilstein B4 shocks with 40mm Eibach springs and the ride fairly decent, does tram line a bit on bad road surfaces though.

Reply #6
Ok I ordered the tyres! The rims are getting refurbished on Friday afternoon and the guy will obviously fit the new tyres..I get some pics up once its done..

Reply #7
These are 17s 8J wide (I think will double check later) running a stretched 195 40 17 tyre. They do fit but previous owner has cut the now obsolete front plastic inner and outer arches plus cut the wing to achieve it.

I would assume if it wasn't as low you might get away with nut cutting arches which is not ideal. I have raised the car up quite a bit since.

Reply #8
These are 17s 8J wide (I think will double check later) running a stretched 195 40 17 tyre. They do fit but previous owner has cut the now obsolete front plastic inner and outer arches plus cut the wing to achieve it.

I would assume if it wasn't as low you might get away with nut cutting arches which is not ideal. I have raised the car up quite a bit since.

you got any pics since you raised it up..? The azev a I'm gonna run are.7.5j just waiting for then to come back from refurb then will post some pics on the car

Reply #9
Sorry I don't and those wheels are on their way to Australia.

I will say that it drove like a pig at that ride height and the turning circle was awful. The wheels were 9J wide, i got it wrong first time.

Reply #11
I think you are right Eddy - 7j is much more in keeping with the original spec. I could not even get the turning circle to get out of my driveway without shimmying back forth a load of times!

Reply #12
I'm gonna try these 7.5j if I don't like they be on here for sale soon! Either that or the e30

Reply #13
Just to add my 9j wheels were on 195 section tyres! Some stretch. Definitely not a set up i would recommend driving a Golf GTI as intended down a country lane that is for sure. 7to 7.5J should be fine.

I am tempoarily running some Borbet Cs that are 7J but plan on going for BBS RAs (or maybe Ronal LSs) in time.

Reply #14
[quote author=MJA link=msg=7875 faxdate=1635948358]
Just to add my 9j wheels were on 195 section tyres! Some stretch. Definitely not a set up i would recommend driving a Golf GTI as intended down a country lane that is for sure. 7to 7.5J should be fine.

I am tempoarily running some Borbet Cs that are 7J but plan on going for BBS RAs (or maybe Ronal LSs) in time.
[/quote]I had ronal ls on my last 16v oak green 1990 really liked them.. funny story I bought that car about ten years ago and put it in my friendss name who had trade insurance, long story short he sold the car and I've never seen him again! I bought the car for 2200. The plot thickens lol.. I'm on YouTube a few weeks ago and I saw the car! It was bonhams auction I recognise that plate anywhere.. had a guide price of 1400 sold for 9000!

https://youtu.be/CY1c307BC2s

That's the link have a look was a really nice car they have put bbs ra's on and lifted it up was lowered when I had it.. bought it like that..