Skip to main content
Topic: Matt's Mk2 16v Oakie + other occasional VW cameos (Read 3624 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Matt's Mk2 16v Oakie + other occasional VW cameos

Reply #15
Looking at your jack kit you have the double spanner slot like L90E!

Noted Darren Dawson on the MK2 Owners Club Facebook page has a full red ultraviolet interior for sale. Location is Huddersfield.

Thanks! What's the double spanner slot?

I'm going to be after rainbows for this but thank you for the heads up.

Reply #16
The double spanner slot, is the slot on the side of the holder for the jack contents one holds a 10mm spanner the other appears to be empty.
scs

Reply #17
Ahh thanks!

My compression tester arrived last night. I don't think I ran the test quite right but these are the results and this is what i did:

Cold engine, disconnect plugs and did not open the throttle and have since read I should have done that.

My readings from left to right as you look into the bay

I didn't tighten my tester too much as was worried about the end getting stuck but am assuming these results are ok. Engine sounds nice and healthy when running so not too worried about valves etc.

I've also started disconnecting coolant hoses and the top hose was full of water - assume that shouldn't be the case on a stone cold engine?

Haven't quite located my thermostate yet but I am sure it will become obvious as I strip down further. I got the radiator and thermostat housing plus some sensors but still waiting for the actual thermostat and water pump. Got a buddy helping me with the timing belt (and also doing the one on the mk3 under his guidance) too end of next week so just preping as much as I can today. I haven't done a timing belt before but keen to learn - watched lots of videos and can see my way through but need someone to check it before cranking!

Reply #18
Only done the cambelt once.
Ensure the tension pulley is properly torqued-up. Then turn over the engine a few times with a socket on the crank bolt. Then you can't do too much damage.

I only noticed there is a difference in jack holders when L90E mentioned it an my eagle eye noted yours was the same.

Re compression testing. Did that with a cheap gauge but can't remember the results. If the head gasket had gone there would be an extremely low result for one or more cylinders.
I think I also put a squirt of oil down the spark plug holes and left it. Not sure it made much difference tho.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #19
Hi I think you should do a compression test with a warm engine. I read somewhere you should take the black lead off the coil as this saves any damage to the electrical system. Good readings are in the 180 region.
scs

Reply #20
Hi I think you should do a compression test with a warm engine. I read somewhere you should take the black lead off the coil as this saves any damage to the electrical system. Good readings are in the 180 region.
scs

Yeah was going to say a healthy engine should be close to 180psi, those figures above look low but need to be done with a warm engine and WOT and as said king lead detached

Reply #22
I'd say those readings aren't too bad.
While they're low, they're all within 15psi of each other.

Do it again with the throttle body wide open (or off), even when cold, it should still give you a much better reading.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #23
Been a little busy with work so no attention until later this week.  I did receieve a new expansion tank cap and noticed a rubber seal inside it. I then checked the one in the car and found the seal had been flipped/misaligned - perhaps this was my issue all along.

Is normal for coolant to gush out at pressure as tempertures rise? Assume probably but never really investigated like this before - I was aware you bleed coolant with the cap off but didn't think it got to the point of gushing out.

Reply #24
We should have probably picked up on it sooner, but that's an old black cap. I belive there was an issue with the pressure release in black caps so they revised the design. New ones are updated to blue, I assume the new one you have is now blue?

Interesting that it's on the later style bottle. I thought the black cap thing was only early expansion bottles I've only ever seen blue caps on the later ones. I don't know if it was a recall, or part of the heater matrix recall, or maybe it was just something VW did if the car went to them for a service. ??? lots of guessing now.

Reply #25
Ha! I knew in the back of mind there was something about black caps but didn't think it would be something like that.

My new one is blue but a pattern part. The centre black plastic bit is smaller in diameter on the replacement it seems.

I think the newer expansion bottle probably came from the mk3 donor.

I've been doing some thinking and I think it probably makes sense to sell my mk3 16v. Maybe I keep the OZ Futura's and sell the mk3. My wife would prefer me to only have 2 classics (and I think it is a good idea plus I only have covered space for 2).

The question is re: the mk3 - do i sell it as a project to finish or do i finish it off. It's a low mileage car with a documented 77k on it. All welding has been done. It needs bonnet, roof, wings and the rear 3/4 painting. Interior perfect. If I finish it I doubt I'll want to sell it.

Reply #26
Hi depending on the cost for the respray it could cost more to paint than you get back. It could make it easier to sell if it looked well cared for.
scs

Reply #27
Over the last couple of days I've had my buddy Andy from Mobile Classics and Customs helping me out.

The main job was to change the timing belt and sort the cooling issue. The short of it is that we were successful but she did fight us. The engine is an ABF with KR inlet. It seems as though the ABF sat outside for a while as minor bolts on the timing cover and PAS pump all snapped and needed a bolt welding to and getting them out.

Summary of what we found:

-Thermostat seized
-PAS bracket missing a mounting point (bracket cracked) - yet to source
-2 x wrong bolts on the crank pulley. I stole a couple from the mk3 but they were too long. I found out the mk3 ones are 45mm long where as the KR ones are 37mm long - will buy some new ones.
-Dizzy was rotated 180 degrees incorrectly
-vac lines just thrown in - too long - I will tidy up and get new junctions.
- cambelt itself was pretty new and didn't cause any problems to replace with the tesnioner.
- changed the radiator for a new one.
- air box is swiss cheese :(

Once the cooling system was bled and and heating operational she was running nicely. Idle was still too high. We messed a little with the idle screw and the dizzy but since the k jet adjustment screw was missing we couldn't achieve perfection and more fettling is needed.

I also found the suspension in Koni damping adjustable coilovers all round. Since they are pretty new looking I will keep them for now and see how they fare on a soft setting.

Andy also welded in a section in the rear wheel well behind the sill. I will complete some areas on the drain lip tomorrow. Otherwise no extensive welding needed other than the rear valance corners. Underneath the trims is looking good however rear arches have been bonded on (lips have been rolled for fat wheels...). I can't be 100% sure behind those but won't be removing to find out.

I haven't managed to sell the Futura's yet but do lovingly look at them now and again so what will be will be with those.

Is there a link anywhere on setting up the k jet system? I've got to be searching the wrong things but thought there was a rubjonny guide somewhere.

Reply #28
-PAS bracket missing a mounting point (bracket cracked) - yet to source
One of the lugs on the original PAS pump casting broke off mine.

Great progress
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel