Skip to main content
Topic: Wanted pas steering conversion 8v gti (Read 478 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanted pas steering conversion 8v gti

Hey guys looking for bits to convert my 8v to power steering..

Rack
Pump+bracket
Bottle+bracket
Lines/hoses
Correct pulleys

I think that's all i need right? Im located in nw London or would pay for delivery.

Tia

Re: Wanted pas steering conversion 8v gti

Reply #1
The Mk2 hoses are NLA and used ones are often in bad shape.

I'd be looking at mk3 parts if I was doing this now, I can't remember exactly what you need but it has been specced up before with part nos. etc I'm sure.

The pump and fittings are better design than mk2 iirc, but I'm sure you can still use with a mk2 rack (so a good upgrade if you already have a PAS rack). If you take it all from a mk3 you might need mk2 track rods for the mk3 rack. I'm sure someone will confirm.

The mk3 stuff will have a ridged pulley and serpentine belts so you can either put a mk2 pulley on the PAS pump, or my preference would be upgrade the alternator to mk3 as well and fit a mk3 pulley on the water pump.

Parts should be easier to get hold of, cheaper and they'll be newer.

As most VAG stuff is shared you might even find SEAT parts they bring you up to early 2000s and you might even still be able to get new for important stuff like the pipes.

I'm all for a good resto-mod to bring things up to date.

The battery leads from Mk3 or M4 are good upgrade too, the clamps are much better.  I did mk3 ones on mine https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=118.msg275#msg275

Reply #2
Mk3 pump and lines use a banjo bolt from memory

Reply #3
Ok thanks for that think I will go with the mk3 stuff.. do you still use the mk2 bottle?

Reply #4
Not sure on that, as long as the inlet/outlet diameters are the same can use either.