Skip to main content
Topic: Rear beam bushes  (Read 1186 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear beam bushes

The Rear beam bushes is a job I’ve been putting off…

Need some tips and inspiration.

New Bushes in the freezer beforehand I know of.

Hoping to do it in situ. So as not to disturb the brake lines and handbrake. So just want to drop it down.

Please send me positive vides and good luck messages.

Not done a mk2 one before but I did do my e30.

Re: Rear beam bushes

Reply #1
Good luck

Reply #2
You'll probably recall I took mine out, though the beam was off the car at the time.

It was hard work without access to the ideal tools, but still doable.

Something to consider is if it's going to fight you, even not I'd imagine it's still going to be hard work. With problems it'll be worse again... I had to cut the nuts off the long bolts / hammer them out and I don't think that'd be easy in situ.

In the end I was going to put them back myself too, but it would've meant buying a tool for just one job and for me it was easier / much cheaper to have someone do it for me.

Like you I was limited in my options as my car's off the road and it's maybe not what you want to hear, but would you consider removing the beam and taking it somewhere?

Still hard work on your own but arguably more straightforward.

This is an image I pinched off the inter-web at the time, someones home made puller specifically for these bushes, might be useful.

Reply #3
Did mine recently I cut the flared end flange off with saw then pushed the remaining bush out of the axle.  After a clean up (electrolytic rust conversion didn't want to sand anything) the replacement bushes were greased and slid in without any adapter.  I just wound them in on the rubber.
Got lucky and avoided having to knock up an adapter as above.  The axle was off the car.
I don't have many pictures of the MK2 axle but I refurbished an A2 axle at the same time and produced a How-To guide for A2OC.  The procedures are very similar once the flange is chopped off the MK2 bush. https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/how-to-repair-restore-your-audi-a2-rear-axle.44808/

Reply #4
I might have to bite the bullet and remove the beam.

I’ve just been quoted £290 for a garage to do it for me with the bushes I supply. If it’s going to be an all day/or longer job that’s actually sounding quite attractive.

I have been looking at similar tools, but haven’t found anything that specifically lists for VW, there are ones around for Ford, Volvo etc that look similar but the universal kits that will no doubt be worthwhile if doing lots of cars are in a par with the one off price quoted above.

I did initially think of getting a spare beam, build it up do the brake lines etc and swap over. A few years back a beam was like£20-30, I’ve even sold a few myself. But now you’re looking at £150+ granted I’d be able to sell mine on for that once done.

Car is close to be ready to reMOT. Rear beam mounts was an advisory so I could leave it and just get the car back on the road and get someone to deal with it later. I’m at that point where car is already up in stands with the wheels off. Do I put it back together and move forward or take it apart a bit more first and complete the overhaul, another step backwards but once done it’s done. Hhhhmmmm.

Reply #5
I edited my post and added a link to a similar job, You may not have seen it?  At £290 you will pay for the tools and be £££ in pocket.  Also you will know that the job has been done right.

Reply #6
Did mine recently I cut the flared end flange off with saw then pushed the remaining bush out of the axle.

I've only done the wishbone bushes and cut the metal by taking the blade off the hacksaw and feeding it through and putting it back together to cut that part. As for re-installing I used a vice.

As per the pic from L90E surely you could get some thick threaded bar large nuts and plates of metal either end to ease on a lubed replacement bush. Then I can borrow them off you to do mine next year....kidding about the last bit.

Unfortunately the weather is turning and drive jobs aren't much fun. How about parking it until next year. Give you an opportunity to enjoy those heated seats  :D
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #7
Yes with the weather changing and the loss of evening light again driveway jobs are limited, although it’s been fine here today so I’ve made a decision to just crack on with the last few remaining bits and get the mot done. I’ll worry about the rear beam bushes another day. I’m so close now I just want to get back in and driving.

Got a fair bit done today so I’ll update my thread soon.

Reply #8
Would using other bushes like powerflex et all make the job easier? Or are you wanting to keep original. Let us know how you get on as I want to do this job but will be dropping the beam and painting it as it's not too pretty anymore.

Reply #9
I believe poly bushes slot in much easier. But I already bought OEM bushes, not that they were expensive. My beam is in general good order and I've coated it with some rust treatment so it's all good for now. So was hoping to avoid completely removing it.

Polo stub axels and later rear callipers are a nice to have so as long as the bushes in their current state pass the MOT I think I'm going to leave for now and perhaps try and get a whole spare beam to build up off the car.

Reply #11
Would using other bushes like powerflex et all make the job easier? Or are you wanting to keep original. Let us know how you get on as I want to do this job but will be dropping the beam and painting it as it's not too pretty anymore.

I was going to say the same thing as the poly bushes are in 2 parts and slot in rather than pressed through, would make the job easy with the beam on the car.

Reply #12
This is currently on eBay.de

If you were likely to be doing this job more than once could be a worthwhile addition to your tool box, though if a garage is charging you in the hundreds it could pay for itself after just one change.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174957127903

Reply #13
That's a nice piece of kit.  Thought I was going to have to knock up something like that but my bushes pulled fully home pulling on the rubber.  Didn't need any special; tools