Skip to main content
Topic: Empty 40mm hole, battery tray...  (Read 359 times) previous topic - next topic

Empty 40mm hole, battery tray...

Another one of those things you see all the time, but never give it another thought... other than when it's gone frilly and rotten.

Found this image on the inter-web (VWVortex) and there's what looks to be the screw on lid of a bottle / grommet with a hole, something you'd imagine had a pipe going in/out for fluid.

Had a quick look on US spec MK2's on 7Zap but lost interest, answer's likely there if you've the time.

My guess it's maybe headlight washer related.

Re: Empty 40mm hole, battery tray...

Reply #1
Now this has triggered something in my deepest darkest memory banks. I'm sure I've heard something about this. Maybe the location of an alternative PAS bottle in some models where something else takes up the space? I really can't remember. I think it came up in a topic about someone looking at options for a clean/smoothed bay and I'm sure someone suggested looking for a US spec something or other. If you look at a later Polo the PAS bottle is kind of in this location.

I just can't think what would be the need for the relocation, or if it's not PAS what is it? seperate headlight washer bottle?
So the Car would be LHD and potentially would have Aircon.

I love a good detective story.

Re: Empty 40mm hole, battery tray...

Reply #3
Probably limited to non-UK cars was the charcoal filter, though it's on the other side, but if you look at your own body work you'll see the metal in fill panel on the chassis leg where if fitted it would drop down into the void between wing and chassis leg. The 'U' shaped support directly beneath that helps locate the wing I think also acted as the cradle for the cannister.

If you then look at the side we're interested in there's a similar 'U' bracket, again for us it helps locate the wing but it's feasible it was multipurpose also and a support for a bottle or similar.

I've been sorting out stuff I'd picked up donkeys years ago and forgotten about. One thing is the head light wash system for a MK1 Golf and although it simply uses a large reservoir and not a separate bottle there's similarities with the screw cap in the image.

MK2 headlight washers that I can find images of appear to be the same bigger resevoir set up, but maybe the US was an exception?