Skip to main content
Topic: Where do you keep your cars-inside,or out? (Read 579 times) previous topic - next topic

Where do you keep your cars-inside,or out?

Hi guys,
Fairly early into my Mk 2  ownership,and with Autumn now here,and just wondering, does everybody keep their cars in a garage,or are some,like me,forced to keep them outside,and,if so,will it be ok,so long as I keep it clean?
Cheers.

Re: Where do you keep your cars-inside,or out?

Reply #1
Mine lives outside.

One thing to note, they can (and most likely will leak) and there's a few common and well documented wet spots which if you're new to ownership you may not be aware of.

Have a read through this and hopefully you won't be too daunted:
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=136.0

Reply #2
Inside and under a Stormforce car cover

Reply #3
Previous owner of my car claimed not to have a garage when I tracked him down after purchase, so car allegedly spent 21 years facing all Wiltshire weather patterns. When I duly complimented him on its overall body condition he simply stated that he spent “a lot of time cleaning it”.  Maybe he had a lean to arrangement?
I, on the other hand, have garage space available so car only at risk of pet dog pee.

Reply #4
mine is inside but previously lived outside and the owner was abroad so was a little neglected.
scs

Reply #5
In the 25 years I've owned my GTI it has probably been in a garage for a month when I was thinking about selling it back in 2000ish.
Now it's parked outside Mumsy's since we have a collection of 5 vehicles and 2 drive spaces. Need to get this Caddy fixed and handed over to son number 1!
The garage has other stuff in it!

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #6
I have 1 x garage, 1 x car port and driveway space for cars. My mk2 is currently in the carport and my mk3 is having an underside refurb in my garage.

I am thinking about buying one of those carcoon outdoor things for the car left outside but a bit pricey @ £500. But a good car cover is £350 and a carcoon will not touch the car paint and keeps a regular atmosphere inside.  I do find covers a pain though but ut would be nice to know the car is safe from water ingress.

Reply #7
I had a carcoon and have to say worked well until it snowed. The weight of snow though although a small amount  caused the carcoon to collapse onto the car roof. It was a soft top so did no damage.
scs

Reply #8
I have 1 x garage, 1 x car port and driveway space for cars. My mk2 is currently in the carport and my mk3 is having an underside refurb in my garage.

I am thinking about buying one of those carcoon outdoor things for the car left outside but a bit pricey @ £500. But a good car cover is £350 and a carcoon will not touch the car paint and keeps a regular atmosphere inside.  I do find covers a pain though but ut would be nice to know the car is safe from water ingress.
I paid £147 delivered recently for a Stormforce.  Very pleased with it.  Stops the leaky garage roof dripping on the car.