Skip to main content
Topic: Mk3 donor car (Read 2516 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk3 donor car

Hey not sure if there's already a topic about this, I'm thinking of buying A mk3 donor car to upgrade some bits on my mk2.. just wanted to know evening I should get off the donor car before I scrap it..tia

Re: Mk3 donor car

Reply #1
What spec is the mk3 you are looking at?
What specific items are you hoping to get?

I assume you want some things for yourself and are looking to see what is worth taking off to sell on?

Many parts are usable either as direct (upgrade) replacement or as modification.

You already have a 16v so you'll already have 256 discs and separate calliper/carrier.
But as an upgrade to any Mk2 below 16v spec the front hubs, callipers and carriers etc will be an upgrade. Depending on the spec of the Mk3 they may be 4 or 5 stud and could be 280 discs, equivalent to G60 set up so may still be an improvement.

(I may be interested in a front brake set up)

Rear callipers are an improvement over mk2 ones, the mk3 handbrake mech is less prone to sticking, but does still stick if not maintained.

Subframe, with wishbones etc and rear beam can all be used but is a wider track. I assume the steering rack can also be used.

The fusebox and loom will be CE2, so everything electrical would be compatible with a late spec mk2, yours should be CE1 as an 87/88 car, so not that useful unless you're looking to rewire the whole car, but useful to someone so keep it to sell on.

The 99 relay can be used for programable intermittent wipers, even on a CE1 fusebox.

Engine, any mk3 engine can be used, but depending on spec it may not be an upgrade for you.
Simple things like the rocker cover of a basic 8v will still look nicer on an 8v mk2.

Various sensors can be used - I have a mk3 temp sender fitted in my 8v.

Alternator, PAS pump and associated brackets can all be used, the PAS pipes are useful and mk2 ones are NLA.

Pulleys can be used to upgrade to serpentine belts rather than v belts.

The weighted shift rod is a good update to the gear change linkage as it makes the gear change feel more positive.

I belive parts of the lower light assembly (the bank of 3 in the bumper) can be used in a mk2 big bumper to upgrade fog lights. Or the indicators can be made to fit as running lights.

If you don't already have a mk3 in mind, it's also worth checking out the mk4 cabriolet, or mk3.5 as it's known as it's not a real mk4 it's a mk3 with a facelift and still has many of the valuable mk3 parts, but newer so potentially in better condition.

Reply #2
What spec is the mk3 you are looking at?
What specific items are you hoping to get?

I assume you want some things for yourself and are looking to see what is worth taking off to sell on?

Many parts are usable either as direct (upgrade) replacement or as modification.

You already have a 16v so you'll already have 256 discs and separate calliper/carrier.
But as an upgrade to any Mk2 below 16v spec the front hubs, callipers and carriers etc will be an upgrade. Depending on the spec of the Mk3 they may be 4 or 5 stud and could be 280 discs, equivalent to G60 set up so may still be an improvement.

(I may be interested in a front brake set up)

Rear callipers are an improvement over mk2 ones, the mk3 handbrake mech is less prone to sticking, but does still stick if not maintained.

Subframe, with wishbones etc and rear beam can all be used but is a wider track. I assume the steering rack can also be used.

The fusebox and loom will be CE2, so everything electrical would be compatible with a late spec mk2, yours should be CE1 as an 87/88 car, so not that useful unless you're looking to rewire the whole car, but useful to someone so keep it to sell on.

The 99 relay can be used for programable intermittent wipers, even on a CE1 fusebox.

Engine, any mk3 engine can be used, but depending on spec it may not be an upgrade for you.
Simple things like the rocker cover of a basic 8v will still look nicer on an 8v mk2.

Various sensors can be used - I have a mk3 temp sender fitted in my 8v.

Alternator, PAS pump and associated brackets can all be used, the PAS pipes are useful and mk2 ones are NLA.

Pulleys can be used to upgrade to serpentine belts rather than v belts.

The weighted shift rod is a good update to the gear change linkage as it makes the gear change feel more positive.

I belive parts of the lower light assembly (the bank of 3 in the bumper) can be used in a mk2 big bumper to upgrade fog lights. Or the indicators can be made to fit as running lights.

If you don't already have a mk3 in mind, it's also worth checking out the mk4 cabriolet, or mk3.5 as it's known as it's not a real mk4 it's a mk3 with a facelift and still has many of the valuable mk3 parts, but newer so potentially in better condition.

Thanks for all that info that was exactly what I was looking for.. so you think the mk4 cabrio would be a better bet now? And you can get all the same bits of it?

Tia

P.s mine is an 8v

Reply #3
I think Eddy has got it covered but one thing I would do if I ever broke a car is take all the various screws from the engine bay and interior to build a nice stash of spare screws.

Reply #4
So the mk3 cabriolet also has all the good gti bits I will need?

Reply #5
The MK2 PAS pipe fits the MK3 PAS pump. Thanks to Rubjonny, Club GTI for the good news.
I guess one thing to be aware of when swapping the pipes over is you can introduce leaks where you didn't have any before. I didn't fancy fannying about at the rack end!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #6
Here’s a perfect example, can’t see if making more than the starting price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Cabriolet-Mk3-5-Colour-Concept-Jazz-Blue-Limited-gti-/203657944908?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The 2.0 gti engine is a decent replacement for someone like me with a stock 8v that isn’t interested in going down the 20v route or R32.

This is the car I’d be looking for if I was going to do anything of that nature.

Reply #7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Cabriolet-Mk3-5-Colour-Concept-Jazz-Blue-Limited-gti-/203657944908?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The 2.0 gti engine is a decent replacement for someone like me with a stock 8v that isn’t interested in going down the 20v route or R32.

This is the car I’d be looking for if I was going to do anything of that nature.

check which 8v engine is fitted, I believe they ADY engine is similar to the mk3 AGG engine. But there is also a 2.0 cross flow similar to the mk4

Reply #8
We have just done this in the last month. We bought a 1997 MK3 2.0 agg GTi for 900 and used the engine, gearbox, front subframe, tank and all associated looms on my sons MK2 (was 1.3). I stripped everything useful off the car and have sold about £500 worth. I still have another £200 or so to make back. Well worth doing.
Phil
All sorts of stuff done, lots more to do!

Reply #9

that looks like a decent one.. May take a punt on that! Wasn't thinking of using the engine was gonna go with a 20vt.. but could be a decent short term option, that's a straight swap right?

Reply #10
We have just done this in the last month. We bought a 1997 MK3 2.0 agg GTi for 900 and used the engine, gearbox, front subframe, tank and all associated looms on my sons MK2 (was 1.3). I stripped everything useful off the car and have sold about £500 worth. I still have another £200 or so to make back. Well worth doing.

I forgot about the fuel tank, but yes that's usable. And I believe using a mk4 in tank fuel pump allows you to do away with the under car pump. Would need confirming I'm not 100%.

Reply #11
that looks like a decent one.. May take a punt on that! Wasn't thinking of using the engine was gonna go with a 20vt.. but could be a decent short term option, that's a straight swap right?

Am I right in thinking your's is a 16v with ABF bottom end, or am I confusing your car with someone else's?

I wouldn't have thought using this engine would be beneficial unless there's something wrong with the current engine.

If I'm wrong then a mk3 2.0 8v is pretty much a direct swap for a 87 onward 8v, (PB engine code) and even more of a direct swap on a later 90 spec mk2 with CE2 electrics as there's no splicing of the loom required and all the senders should already be there. I have no personal experience of this, just relaying what I've picked up along the way so would need to be fact checked on all the finer details.

Remember for an early 8v, or any 16v this uses K-jet CIS (Continuous Injection System) so you have a high pressure fuel pump, accumulator etc. and different fuel delivery system, running off the metering head integral to the air box. You would need to strip all of this out.

It's likely if the K-jet side of things was working this is why you'd have a KR head and fuel system and just bolt on the 2.0 bottom end.

Reply #12

Am I right in thinking your's is a 16v with ABF bottom end, or am I confusing your car with someone else's?

I wouldn't have thought using this engine would be beneficial unless there's something wrong with the current engine.

If I'm wrong then a mk3 2.0 8v is pretty much a direct swap for a 87 onward 8v, (PB engine code) and even more of a direct swap on a later 90 spec mk2 with CE2 electrics as there's no splicing of the loom required and all the senders should already be there. I have no personal experience of this, just relaying what I've picked up along the way so would need to be fact checked on all the finer details.

Remember for an early 8v, or any 16v this uses K-jet CIS (Continuous Injection System) so you have a high pressure fuel pump, accumulator etc. and different fuel delivery system, running off the metering head integral to the air box. You would need to strip all of this out.

It's likely if the K-jet side of things was working this is why you'd have a KR head and fuel system and just bolt on the 2.0 bottom end.
hi mate mine is actually a pb code 8v.. I think that means it's ce1 writing its an 88 car

Reply #14

I forgot about the fuel tank, but yes that's usable. And I believe using a mk4 in tank fuel pump allows you to do away with the under car pump. Would need confirming I'm not 100%.

MK3 is intank fuel pump.
Phil
All sorts of stuff done, lots more to do!