Skip to main content
Topic: New battery (Read 813 times) previous topic - next topic

New battery

Hi Everybody!

I'm looking to change the battery on my 1991 Golf Driver 1.6. It has the 72HP RF engine with a webber carb.
Currently, the car has a "Drivetec' heavy duty DM063 (44AH) battery fitted.
When I check drivetec's website they say its not compatible with the car.
I'm struggling to find which battery I need, various websites are suggesting 063, 065 & 075.

Any advice gratefully received  :D

Thanks.

Re: New battery

Reply #1
There's an element of how you use the car involved in choosing the best battery for your needs.

44 Ah is quite a low figure, but it's an older car and if you're not running lots of electricals it may suit you fine and avoid the need to spend more than you have to.

Is the car left outside / started in cold weather for example? Another important figure is the CCA, that gives you an idea of a batteries ability to turn over your engine in more extreme conditions.

Again if it's not something that's a concern, no point paying for performance you don't need when a cheaper / less powerful alternative will do.

Last time I was getting a battery I initially chose a Bosch but there was a problem with supply, the seller recommended Varta, said they make them for Bosch anyway. My daily came with a Varta as OE, haven't had a problem with either.

Is it an all weather daily or summer / hobby car?

Reply #2
Hi,

It's kept outside and I plan to use it fairly frequently, but I only travel to work (a round trip of 90 miles, coming home at 8pm so lights on heater stereo etc) once a week. The battery appears to be OK, I got the car in July, so I don't know how old the battery is or how good the car is in winter. I thought an upgrade might be a good idea. Does it have to be an 063?

Reply #3
You got me Googling!

Varta

Varta's own site has a match your car to battery feature - the spec. of your existing battery seems to closely correspond with what they recommend from their own range.

I'm assuming they are basing that on 'normal' use, but like I say if you live somewhere very cold and the car lives outside there's always scope to get something more powerful.

Reply #4
Over and above it's physical measurements and will it fit, have a Google to get a basic understanding of Ah (Amp / hours) and CCA (Cold Cranking Amps).

They're probably the important ones to consider to see if one battery better suits your needs over another.

Higher figures for both is better, but there comes a point when you're needlessly over doing it.

Reply #5
Hope I've understood this right from the Varta site, something I didn't appreciate before, so if I have it's been a good learning day for me to.

The 063 number of your existing battery (and also of the one Varta recommends too) is a UK specific code number.

I think it may refer to the batteries actual dimensions, regardless of any other Ah or CCA ratings it may have.

063 - W. 175mm / L. 207mm / H. 175mm

012 - W. 175mm / L. 207mm / H. 190mm

075 - W. 175mm / L. 242mm / H. 175mm

Presumably there's other numbers, such as the 065 one you mention, but according to Varta it's those above that are the three which will fit your specific model.

Reply #6
Thanks for all the info’ time for a coffee and a think…

Reply #7
Just under a year ago I put a new battery in the Mk5, I went with Varta because:
 1. it's a well known name I know in relationship to batteries and I wasn't keen on going for an unknown brand.
 2. it seemed to be very good value for money compared with other branded (Bosch) equivalents.
 3. had a 5 year warranty when many others were far less*.

So when I needed to get a battery for both my daughter's fiesta and her boyfriends car I again went with Varta. * these were only 4 year warranty.

They've all been great, as you'd expect - ask me again in 4 years time.