Skip to main content
Topic: Jacquot - 1989 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI... (Read 6175 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jacquot - 1989 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI...

Reply #75
Cheers, I'll shop around when I finally come to tune the red one, might be a while though
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #76
Late last year the MOT agency here managed to excel themselves, even by their already abysmal standards.

Upshot was when the 205 was due it's test they couldn't fit it in before expiry, I didn't have the will to fight them again so let it slide with the intention of instead getting it this year.

Over the winter, dusted the old fella off and fired him up a few times just to keep him happy.

Since we're getting closer, went for a whizz up and down the lane yesterday and it reminded me just why I like old cars.

He starts on the button, but the Bosch Jetronic has a character all it's own. Will rumble and hunt for a few seconds before a cold high idle that gradually drops to a steady 900 rpm... reminds me of the clips you see of old piston engine planes being fired into life.

Car vibrates in tune with it and the exhaust burble / exhaust smell is heaven.

I've no doubt sometime in my life I'll own / regularly use an electric vehicle, but I can't imagine it'll be remotely as satisfying to own as this old guy.

Reply #77
New MOT this AM.

Typical... like summer all week here, then the rain starts a few hours before the test.

Hopefully tax him Monday, though it's a bank holiday, so not sure if the Post Offices are open... you have to present proof of insurance here inorder to get tax, which means physically going to a real life building - none of your new fangled on-line stuff for us!

Took the long way home, surprised a few outside lane hoggers... love this wee car, hope the MK2's even half as much fun. 

Harping back to the talk about the Gunson earlier.

Below are last years and todays official test center results, on what is probably a £100K analyser (to 3 decimel points no less).

Beside them are my puny little Gunsons for comparison...

2021 - 1.3% on the Gunson / the test center 1.320

2022 - 1.5% on the Gunson / the test center 1.530

Reply #78
New MOT this AM.

Typical... like summer all week here, then the rain starts a few hours before the test.

Hopefully tax him Monday, though it's a bank holiday, so not sure if the Post Offices are open... you have to present proof of insurance here inorder to get tax, which means physically going to a real life building - none of your new fangled on-line stuff for us!

Took the long way home, surprised a few outside lane hoggers... love this wee car, hope the MK2's even half as much fun. 

Harping back to the talk about the Gunson earlier.

Below are last years and todays official test center results, on what is probably a £100K analyser (to 3 decimel points no less).

Beside them are my puny little Gunsons for comparison...

2021 - 1.3% on the Gunson / the test center 1.320

2022 - 1.5% on the Gunson / the test center 1.530

Hi, if the V5 is in your name and it's insured you can tax it online as long as it isn't the first tax, the DVLA pull the info from the Motor Insurance Database but you can only do it between 7am and 7pm online

Reply #79
Cheers Bill... will give it ago tomorrow AM (start of new tax month), hope that's the case, be handy.

Also be a bit annoying as I was made go in person at last renewal, despite car being taxed in my name for the previous 12 months.

Would it need to be continuously taxed for the on-line bit to kick in, thinking maybe SORN might upset the computers?

Having said that daughters Citigo has to be taxed every year at the PO, this time round it'll be the unbroken third cycle in her ownership.

Can't get their system to accept it on-line / nor set up a Direct Debit either.

My daily on the other hand is all on-line and DD every year.

Reply #80
Cheers Bill... will give it ago tomorrow AM (start of new tax month), hope that's the case, be handy.

Also be a bit annoying as I was made go in person at last renewal, despite car being taxed in my name for the previous 12 months.

Would it need to be continuously taxed for the on-line bit to kick in, thinking maybe SORN might upset the computers?

Having said that daughters Citigo has to be taxed every year at the PO, this time round it'll be the unbroken third cycle in her ownership.

Can't get their system to accept it on-line / nor set up a Direct Debit either.

My daily on the other hand is all on-line and DD every year.

I have had that previously where a break in the tax or sorn in a certain period of years? would disallow online renewal but SORN is counted as continuous, i think it's 3 years but not sure, I had one that wasn't taxed for a month between sale and not SORN did this, you also need to make sure the new MOT has updated on the DVLA website before trying.

I also had an issue of a private reg once like this also that I tried to put on a car online and it failed and I called the DVLA and they stated there was a previous break in tax so had to send it off.

Reply #81
Last years new MOT didn't appear on-line for just under a week, made a point of checking as you'll remember the mileage was recorded wrongly and had to be changed.

Wish they'd make it as awkward to pay all my other taxes, you'd think they'd be breaking your arm to take your money, not putting obstacles in your way!

Reply #82
MOT showed up when I checked this AM so was able to tax him on-line also, which is a big boon.

Has high lighted just how different our regional vehicle test authority does things to the rest of the UK.

Over covid the 205 was excluded from our temporary exemption certificates because the car's most recent MOT was done in GB and the systems aren't compatible... he could only get an MOT by being tested as normal.

We can't check our vehicles NI MOT history on-line - if it's an ex-GB car that part will still show. You have to email in a request instead. Haven't done it so far, to see what sort of format the reply takes.

A GB MOT is as valid as an NI one here and also vice versa... traders here (and likely a few private punters too) are apparently sending vehicles to Scotland for MOT rather than waiting months for an appointment locally. Suppose the extra expense / hassle must be worth it to help sell / increase the value of a car to one that's tested from one that's not.