Skip to main content
Topic: Jacquot - 1989 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI... (Read 6098 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1989 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI...

Reply #45
New over mats arrived today, all the way from France. Took 4 months to get here, but glad I did it now.

Apparently they're copies of a style available in the 1980/90's - says it all!

Re: Jacquot - 1989 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI...

Reply #46
No updates for a while, but doesn't mean I've not been tinkering away...

The eagle eyed will notice the thread title has changed a little... Wee Pug's officially been christened 'Jacquot' (pronounced Jakcoo apparently) by the kids after I got an old French keyring from a long since defunct Peugeot Talbot dealer.

A shed load of under the skin stuff has been done also, too much to list without boring you.

Jacquot's becoming very cosmopolitan - finding stuff all over the globe for him, or is it her? God bless Google!

Some from France as already mentioned, including the Momo V35 from a previous post.

That's back on despite everything I said about Italvolantis.

Reason is I finally managed to track down a 'Champion Du Monde' center button. Been after one for an age after seeing it in an old accessory catalogue.

New Bosch fuel pressure regulator to replace an after market variable one that I didn't even realise wasn't standard. Worked perfectly but was a very old 'upgrade' by a distant past owner so changed out while the fuel pipes were being done.

Found that at a BMW dealer's in Turkey.

There's lots of copy gear knobs about including the one on the Pug when I got her, stumbled across a genuine new Peugeot 505 item in Portugal. Apparently the same as 205's but the top plate is in silver and mounted back to front.

Changed that to a genuine red GTI plate, again picked up in France and put in the correct way round... bingo.

The head lights were copies when I got the car and I have to say looked spot on so there was no intention of changing them, however when we tried to set the beams up for the MOT one just refused to play. Would have likely resulted in a failure so some used but genuine Valeo / Marchals found, refurbished and now in.

It's only when you see the original, genuine items that you appreciate just how well made they were in comparison to todays re-pros.

The old, slightly yellow hued glass of the Marchals made the front spots (again new copies) look soooooo white and bright, seemed really odd when looking at the front of the car.

Tracked down some old SIEM's, not quite the exact match of the originals (slightly different cut to the glass pattern and chrome not black bezels) but lots of cleaning plus some tinkering and I don't think anyone'll realise.

Once again quality is in a different league and all for less than the price of the re-pros.

Sods law but after getting the spots I may have scored a set of genuinely, genuine yellow glassed SIEM's in Italy, just too cheap not to though they haven't arrived yet so not going to set myself up for a fall just yet in case it doesn't happen.

I've also since hard wired in a dash cam and 12v socket to run my phone / bluetooth adapter for the stereo.

The ciggy lighter is very, very fragile and was straining under the constant use - didn't want to be cutting into existing looms etc. so utilised a relay box that's fitted to some later GTI's and lesser models, but not in mine. I'd just a vacant area above the strut tower, but all the fixings use existing holes / bolts so again easy to fit and easily removable.

Generic Chinese fuse bus running it's own supply from the battery, gives me 4 x auxiliary fused leads to use up.

The 12v socket fits into an existing tray that sits just in front of the gear lever. Found a used one (Spain), so everything can once again be easily reversed -

Nigh on everything I've done has either been my own labour or the bits were got cheaply after some searching... hopefully proves doing up an old car or just keeping it on the road can, with a little effort be manageable.

Reply #47
Love these little touches!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #48
Once again loving a bit of obsessive detail,

“ Found that at a BMW dealer's in Turkey.

There's lots of copy gear knobs about including the one on the Pug when I got her, stumbled across a genuine new Peugeot 505 item in Portugal.”

As you do ....

Reply #49
I was Googling for Mediterranean cheese at the time - who hasn't?

Reply #51
Have to say it doesn't bother me using the car, not going to abuse it or take it out in the middle of winter, but it was got for me to enjoy and not the next person. Should hopefully gradually get more worn in with time than worn out, a look I quite like in an old car so win, win as far as I'm concerned.

Too many years missed (through nobodys fault but my own) unable to use the Golfs, not going to do the same with this one.

Wee car just loves being driven too, I honestly think lack of use would do it more harm than any risk of the odd mark or chip.

Already put over 1500 miles on it in the past 3 months, had to ring the insurance people and pay for another 1500 to take me up to May next year... never going to be enough.

Reply #52
The yellow SIEM's turned up from Italy, complete with covers (frames are now black).

At the moment I prefer the clear lenses, specially it being a red car. I've seen images of the yellow on both black and white cars, definitely suits those colours much better.

Very easy to change about, so can use whatever I'm in the notion for...

Reply #53
Well, had to happen I suppose... those dodgy French electrics nearly caught me out a few days ago.

Was picking the young fella up from school (though he won't admit it, he secretly likes his buddies seeing the 205), and there was a torrential down pour started up half way there.

It's happened before, but even worse that time... that too started miles from home and it was like a monsoon. Fully expected the inside to be soaking by the time I got back home what with the reputation 205's have for being like sieves, but barely a drop.

This time stopped at a roundabout and lost all power, two turns of the key and back to life with thankfully no more upset and safely back home.

Then same again later that evening, trying to move it into the garage.

Turned out to be the 'shunt box' - an oddball Peugeot solution to dealing with the cars ancilliaries, sort of mini fusebox beside the main battery and leads. Single securing nut for the terminal was slowly working loose and reached the point it was making intermitent contact.

Pure luck we worked out what was wrong and quickly, but after the wee car going like a train for so long it was a bit of a wake up call and brought me back down to the reality of driving old cars.

Gave her a good clean today after so much driving lately and took the opportunity for a few photos... going to have to start hiding the keys.

On a side note, since getting the car I've been running it on standard 95RON unleaded and it drives the best using it so have to assume the timing's been set up properly to take it.

The last tank full I put in was 97RON super unleaded and the difference is quite noticible... car's definitely got better performance when you're moving on but probably the biggest difference is actually at low speed / gears.

On normal fuel it lived up to the 1.9's reputation for being quite 'shunty' and you needing to regularly drop the clutch to stay smooth in traffic... that's now gone.

I should have checked first obviously, but it's done now and for every reference you read you get a different answer... so would like to know if moving up to super unleaded from a car set to use 95RON does it or does it not need any re-adjustment?

Engine performs perfectly on either, no pinking etc.

Reply #55
I think the ethanol issue is something slightly different and that currently unleaded / super unleaded in the UK are both E5 (5% ethanol content) though there's talk the government want that to become a 10% (E10) minimum for normal unleaded soon though super unleaded will continue to be E5 / 5%.

There's a list of cars that can't run on E10... quite surprising just how recent a few of them are - some from the early 2000's and slightly later feature.

You're right... seems some older fuel pipes and related bits can perish quite quickly if exposed to E10.

As far as the RON goes it's my understanding an engine set up for 95RON will run fine on 97RON, may even be some noticble benefits if it's a performance orientated one.

The reverse isn't necessarily true I believe... if an engine is tuned for 97RON it's best to not use a lesser fuel.

Having said all that I'm relying on the inter-web so may well be a load of ball bags!

The owners manual for the 1.9 very clearly states that engine can't be made to run on unleaded (the 1.6 can, Peugeot even gives the timing changes needed).

The myth is that it wasn't for technical reasons (they're effectively the same engine, just a different stroke) but simply that the loss of HP was quite marked and wasn't good for marketing so wanted to encourage 4-Star use.

Got to remember too all this was written in the late 80's / early 90's and things have obviously since moved on fuel wise.

I'm no mechanic and couldn't get my head around the need for (or not) any timing changes for different RON's.

Like I said, whatever way she's set up the wee car runs perfectly on both and seems better on 97RON...  I was just looking confirmation that this could be possible or is it wishful thinking on my part and I'm kidding myself... don't want to be doing any harm when a simple tune up could prevent it.

Reply #56
Gave my daily a good going over today, prompted by the fact it's getting its third years service the day after tomorrow.

With having just done over 3000 miles in it since the last service and being parked up for most of that time it was minging inside and out.

Even had to give the engine bay the once over due to the mass of leaves, spiders nests / webs and dust.

Having done the Peugeot a few days ago it just high lighted how complex modern engines have become, and ugly too.

Looks like they just tipped in a bucket of bits, pipes and wires.

Little wonder they put large plastic covers (off here) on them these days...

Reply #57
Didn't really need it as I've not been out for a few weeks, but Jacquot got a final wash and polish before going indoors for a while. In all liklihood I'll be SORN'ing him next month once they extend his temporary MOT in early November up to May next year.

Bit of a sore point that... would've done it when the tax ran out at the end of September, but my first exemption was for just 6 months and not a full year.

Apparently they intentionally staggered the length of them for their own ends and it was pot luck how long you initially got. They've said they fully intend to extend it for another 6 months when the time comes, but inorder to do so he has to be taxed.

With the high band that 205's are in it's £45 down the drain, just to satisfy their bureaucracy.

Took the opportunity to put on the yellow spots and like the look... you can still get period yellow glass caps for the main headlight bulbs to complete the look.

This one's part of an old emergency kit, just pushes on over a standard H4 bulb.

Been trying to get a definitive answer as to whether or not they're legal... lots of stuff out there, but mostly old, contradictory and could be out of date even it was correct, plus likely full of opinion and not fact.

Anyone here involved in MOT's or similar and can give an educated reply?

Not an issue though, both are easily changed back come test time and no need to risk a fail, just curiosity.

Reply #58
Put the yellow bulb covers on today, just to see how they look... difficult to capture in a photo, they're much more pronounced in real life.

Probably a marmite thing - personally I like them on an old french car, just looks right but probably not so much on something else (ie. MK2).

Easily swapped about come MOT time, though I don't think they'd be an issue, but better safe than sorry.

Reply #59
Think I mentioned elsewhere that I'd got a Gunson gas tester?

Wanted it so I could sort out the CO2 in advance of future MOT's and have used it quite a few times so far, just to get some practice in.

I got the readings down to between 1.5 - 1.8% at one point, but the car didn't run as well as it normally does at that level... 2.4% seemed to be the lowest I could go before he started to get moody on me.

The test threshold's 3.5% so it's not a problem, but for the good running of the engine I think Haynes states the CO2 should be between 1.0 and 2.0 aiming for 1.5 ideally.

Tried a few different things that were recommended over and above what I've already done... new ECU water temperature sensor for example, but none had any obvious impact.

Jacquot's had a few 'period' mods in his time, things that a lot of owners did in the 1980's and 90's in the hope of a bit more performance - most apparently didn't work, the Turbo Diesel twin fan set up that's in him for example.

Apparently another favourite was to adjust the spring tension inside the air flow meter The black toothed wheel in the pics below)... seems it's of no real benefit performance wise either but messing with the Bosch factory settings can inadvertently affect emissions.

Got me thinking maybe someone had done it to him at a time.

Wasn't going to start tinkering and possibly break something on the one fitted so got a second hand cheapy to use as a guine pig.

It'd definitley been opened before, that new black sealant must've been reapplied at arms length but it cleaned up eventually.

They're L-Jetronic which seems to have been in various makes and models though they aren't readilly interchangable.

Once you get down to it, it's actually quite simple and robust. Just carefully took everything apart and cleaned it.

The only proper change was moving the swinging arm a tiny amount that it now runs through a fresh arc on the resistance strip.

It's all fitted up and got it down to a perfectly running 1.5% almost immediately,

I'm guessing, but It seems logical that fixing and cleaning the conductive strip alone sorted things out.

Will likely have a go at the original one now that I know it can be done, risk free.