Skip to main content
Topic: Jacquot - 1989 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI... (Read 6182 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1989 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI...

Reply #30
they look really smart. ive just photos, no dimensions

Reply #32
More or less done all of the interior and the bulk of the outside so been concentrating on the engine area for the last while.

Some of the pipe work, specially the coolant ones were a little tired so took the plunge and ordered a complete set along with those for the oil, fuel and air.

That was over six weeks ago and the supplier has really let me down with some of it still not received.

Enough outstanding ones arrived today to at least get to the point were I can run the engine again (hopefully tomorrow - finished fitting what I have this evening).

I've just test fitted some of the ancillaries in these images, glad I did as the twin fan turbo diesel set up really makes things tight... some alterations were needed to the wiring routing to make it work.

It's far from immaculate, but that's not what I'm after. I like the oiled, but not oily look. 

Think 1994... the car's 5 years old and done a few miles, got a few marks, but been looked after.

I'll keep it clean, but not be too worried about driving it either.

Reply #34
Yeah, I'd paint that slam panel and take those stickers off while you're at it...
 :))
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #35
Don’t know if I could live with the magnolia slam panel.... oem vs ocd??

Maybe it's because I've seen it so often, but I've grown used to it... in fact when I see one that's not the proper colour it looks odd.

Are you becoming an OE sinner... the world really is in turmoil?

The sticker set is actually very accurate, however I think it probably includes some that would have only been on continental LHD cars. I've already taken the green one off for that reason, as I've yet to see one on a UK car, but all the others are legit.

As it's been laid up for longer than expected, I took it easy getting her running and touch wood there's been no leaks or problems (so far), she actually started on the button the first time, so back in my good books after the nightmare of the interior.

Reply #36
Finally got the mudflaps on... took so long as the rears need the wheels off to fit and I was saving up a few jobs for the one time.

Some wee niggles since being back on the road but (hopefully) most sorted now.

Had to cut back some of the underlay behind the pedals as reverse was occasionally crunching - I knew the box was fine, it'd been checked before buying. Turned out between Newton Commercials own, my two extra layers and the carpet itself there must have been a good 2-3cm of clutch pedal travel lost, something to consider if you're doing it yourself!

Discovered the oil temperature gauge wasn't registering anything... apparently it's a common issue as the single wire feeding it runs behind the engine block and gets fried. As was suggested elsewhere, a previous owner solved the problem my cropping it off instead of replacing. Turns out the sensor isn't correct either, probably a random one put in to plug the extra sump hole. New wire and sensor will hopefully fix as the gauge itself has tested OK.

Set of red over mats on order from France, reproductions of some original Peugeot accessories... very 80's with OTT '205 GTI' logos.

Apart from those I think the interiors more or less done, going to be focusing on the underside next.

It'll just be tidying up, no concours stuff, double checking the mechanical side of things etc... the rear beams need regular attention or can fail quite expensively... prevention's better that cure.

(Forgive the red calipers... repaint is on the to do list)

Still makes you look twice when you see it beside a 'normal' car... it's tiny, though the glass is so large, once your inside you don't realise you look like a pedal car!

Reply #38
This is DAMN impressive...

Even for originality's sake though I just can't get on board with that slam panel, proper job no question about it and looks very well done, but have to think good satin black or even body colour (not usually a fan of that but can see it here) would be an improvement.

Truly great example though.

Reply #39
Amazing...

Yep, completely stunning!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #40
I think the later cars had satin black and the earlier ones either body colour or black also, not sure.

When I went to look at the car, nearly one of the first things the guy said was that the panel was original as he was worried I'd think it'd been hit and replaced.

When I'd the car apart you could see the hidden areas behind panels that hadn't been painted the final body colour and they were a similar colour to the slam panel.

I'm guessing it was just money saving by Peugeot, probably more expensive / time consuming to paint a standalone item then try to marry it up to a matching car on the production line, easier if they're all the same primer finish.

Mentioned before I think that the car has the Turbo Diesel twin fan set up, seems to have been put in early on in it's life. Old time up-grade that apparently's of no real advantage, but was popular back them

The radiator had a leak and was replaced with like for like as to revert to the smaller standard set up would have meant a new cowling and possibly other bits, so stuck with it.

It's massive and weighs a ton, plus fit is very, very tight... couldn't be done if the slam panel didn't detach easily.

To my shame I only got around to changing the daughters winter wheels back to summer yesterday so the car got a clean as well as she'd never dream of doing it!

Love her wee Citigo, it's amazing how similar in character it is to the 205 (apart from the PAS).

Wheel / tyre size are identical spec. but the Citigo looks enormous beside the Pug.

You feel like your sitting in the bath looking out in the Skoda, but up high in the 205 because of the waistline.

Hard to image the 205 was a 'Super-mini', 30 years ago... considered one up from a small car and nowadays 'town' cars dwarf them.

Thanks for the comments, but photo's can flatter and she's far from perfect... though that means I can whizz around in her with out worrying about stone chips or dead flies.

Reply #41
Towards the end, on the old forum I was asking if anyone had a 'Discarnect' fitted, as I was thinking of getting one.

Ended up doing it and got the version with the fused bypass for accessories. Worked out at less than £8.00 posted, but it's even cheaper for the one without that feature.

Got to say I'm pleased with it, well made and easy to fit plus beats connecting / disconnecting the battery if your working back and forth regularly on the electrics.

Has a limited anti-theft value if you take the wheeled knob away altogether, otherwise just loosen it off a few turns to disconnect the power instead.

The fused bypass just means things like alarms / radio codes / clock etc keep working, but if you try to start the car the fuse blows (you get 4 x with it) -

Reply #42
Got my junk out for you on the old forum... some repeat offending yesterday saying as there's not much chance of getting to a show anytime soon and with the sun out here, we had our own.

A couple of things are almost obligatory now... the Feu air-freshener and old brochures, but when in Rome.

Took my cue from a few old accessory catalogues. Amazing how things haven't really changed all that much over the decades.

Rubber torch's handy for keeping the kids in check!

Bit of 80's connectivity.

Glove box time capsule... That's an analogue sat. nav. of Ireland for anyone younger than me.

Reply #44
Been a bit slack recently, other than to drive the Pug a few hundred miles since the last post and it hasn't missed a beat.

Heavy, crashy and lots of shunt at low speed but once up to speed an amazing little driver.

Changed out the Momo to an Indianapolis Formel that I've had for years. Was destined for the MK1. and being an older three bolt one it's probably more of that era than the (not too different) later versions, but I love it and lets face it Italvolantis are just so much better than Momos!

Think I mentioned elsewhere that while the tyres the car came with were like new and Continentals they turned out to be almost 20 years old and just not safe for road use anymore.

They were 195/50 15's, the originals being 185/55's so now back to those. Michellin are currently doing a deal and since they're the 1990's french hot hatch default went for them.

Just being new, let alone a very slightly higher profile has made the ride a little better.

Being a sucker for period bits got a proper Peugoet sunroof deflector on eBay... Came less two of its three clips and the rubber seal plus a bit scratched but had all it's bolts / plastic nuts, so not much effort with the polisher has it like new. Had a spare rubber, again from a MK1 deflector and made some clips from aluminium. Peugeot pre-fitted holes in the sunroof tray to attach the deflector so being one of theirs it was all very straight forward and easily reversible, though I love them (and practical too).

3 months on and the retro mats I ordered from France have only just been made and here soon, hopefully be worth the wait!