Skip to main content
Topic: E5, E10 or Zero? (Read 321 times) previous topic - next topic

E5, E10 or Zero?

Further to current E10 ‘ethanol’ debate.

As all our car engines are pre-2011 constructed the use of E10 (up to 10 percent ethanol content) rated fuel surely heightens incidence of corrosive damage to some metals, pipelines and seals, particularly if vehicle has been standing for a long period.

That said, we have all been hooning around for several years gulping unleaded E5 (up to 5 percent ethanol content) so perhaps doom-mongers are over reacting?

In any event came across a positive take on situation while lapping up recent copy of Classic Motorcycle. Seems that Esso produce ethanol free unleaded petrol under their Esso Synergy Supreme + 97 and +99 (Gti loves RON 98) brands. These pumps will not be marked E0 but E5 by regulation but Esso guarantee no ethanol content for either. Not so good news if you live in Devon, Cornwall, Teeside, Scotland or NW England though,  cos for some undisclosed reason, ethanol free Esso Synergy Supreme not available??

I have two Esso stations near to me so will fill up if either has the Supreme product and will report if I detect any loss of engine performance running ethanol free. Don’t forget, each petrol company has its own feed stocks and in-house processing technology and you need to grasp how variable the end product can be.

Re: E5, E10 or Zero?

Reply #1
I assume if you’re into classic motorcycles you’ll also be very aware of the diy process of removing the ethanol with water?

I can’t see this being practical I large quantities so doubt many car owners will do it, but as the average bike tank is about 15l it’s quite feasible, not tried myself yet.