Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 21497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #105
As seems to be the trend at the moment very little to update you with.

Outcome of the bumper....

Not bad, but the finish is a bit too rough/sharp IMO. Maybe the spray distance was a bit far or the coverage not thick enough but as mentioned before it was really hard to spray from the tin, the nozzle kept clogging and would have been better through a gun I'm sure. It'll do, and maybe it will soften a little over time, after a few washes and with a bit of bumper gel built up on it. The bumper is basically scrap, but I just wanted to make the best of it till I was able to replace but it it was a keeper I might be tempted to slightly sand back and respray with satin black.

In other news, I had a couple days off (booked off for the National that didn't happen so had a Friday and Monday going spare) so thought ideal time to get the last of the welding done, after all the weather was fine, if not a bit too hot.

So nice and early Friday morning I get all set up...

Only to discover I'm out of gas!!!! I must have left the bottle open and had a leak, as I'm sure I haven't used that much.

Also stranded at home with no useable car, so no option to do anything about it.
So a few days later I manage to get some Gas and the following Friday get a few hours spare so think I'd at least make a start, only to find my regulator is shot, obviously why the leak and no gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwx5DOcbNZk

So again no progress, and currently waiting on a new regulator. The new one has gauges which the old one didn't so will hopefully tell me a bit more about what's going on.

Anyway, with a few hours spare and no chance to weld I thought I'd make a start on a few other jobs.

Fitted new spark plugs and leads, one at a time so no fear of muddling them up this time. Battery is out for welding, so haven't tested yet.

Also fitted new front brake hoses both sides, new exhaust rubbers as the old were very saggy.

Anyway, after reviewing the MOT advisory list, and knowing I'll have to resubmit for a full MOT since I'm way past the 10 day retest I thought I'd try and knock a few off so they don't turn into new fails next time.

So placed my 3rd order with AUTODOC, went for the easy option of complete front wishbones with bushes and balljoints fitted (cuz I have enough on my plate). And although not listed, thought it was easier to just replace, ARB mounts and links joints and Track Rod Ends. Also ordered rear beam bushes. I held off on new discs all round, they have surface rust from sitting for well over a year now, but I'm happy they are solid and that will clean off. It won't matter if it takes a couple of weeks to arrive, I'm sure I'll still have the parts before I'm ready to fit.

Oh, I also added a new central locking compatible boot lock (see previous) as AUTODOC sent me a £5 voucher, but I had to spend over £90 and the above list came in just under.

Reply #106
The bumper looks excellent, you've done an amazing job on it.

I did mine with textured truck bed liner and you're right, the initial finish is quite severe compared to the original and rough to the touch. I found a very gentle wipe (long strokes all in the one direction) with a fine scotch-brite material progressively toned it down and smoothed the finish.

Keep us updated on the welding, I'm determined to get into it at some point and posts like this are gold to me.

Reply #107
I don't want to sound like a Victor Meldrew about this but I can see you on the drive welding the car I assume, how public is the road and do people walk past, especially kids, last thing you want is someone knocking on your door because their kid has a bad dose of arceye while being fascinated at the spark of the welding, just a thought.

Only reason I say it is when I started in welding at 16 the first day I stood there and watched what was going on only to find a few hours later that I was in awful pain like sand being thrown in my eyes, it is a lesson you only need to learn once!!

Reply #108
It’s a fair comment and there is a primary school at the end of my road, but I’ve never been out on it at school time. And I normally park the other car across in front to give me a bit of a shield I also have some large bits of hardboard I prop up around me. I do it as it stops the wind from blowing the gas I wasn’t really doing it from the point of view of others but I’ll certainly bare it I’m mind. I do generally stop if people walk buy, it’s a very quiet area so that’s not often but I do it to be courteous in the same way I stop the pressure washer if someone goes by when I’m cleaning etc.

Reply #109
New welding gas regulator arrived and didn't fit, looked like it should be thread pitch is slightly out. Not sure if it's bad manufacture or just for a different type of bottle. New one ordered from elsewhere while I battle with eBay for the return. But another week lost, new one won't arrive till Friday at the earliest. And my wife is getting very stroppy about the car on stands on the driveway still.

Reply #110
The welding saga continues, 2nd regulator arrived, British made, BS marked etc. Fits well.

So since then I've had 2 evening sessions, sorry pics are a bit lacking. Was just eager to get it done in fading light and wasn't focused on taking photos.

But first off, here's my blockade arrangement, 1. so I'm not shooting sparks at the other car, 2. to give a bit of wind protection, 3. to deter onlookers.

It works, and I have the theory if it's windy so the card blows over it's probably too windy to be welding outside.

Anyway, the first session was the rear corner, I only took these (poor quality) pics part way through:

I did get this finished and the outer panel on.

Second session was the front corner of the rear arch, again a bit light on the pics, but I did get this one.

You can't really see a lot as I was loosing light, but with a slap of filler over the join (still to be sanded) and some paint protection to cover the bare metal...

All welding is now complete, I can move on with the next stage.

Meanwhile. I started to apply Forever Black to the plastics, here's a half done pic of a sill cover:

I know my welding isn't excellent, but I'm learning and what I'm putting in seems to be adequate. Over the years I've paid for welding to be done, on my old one for example which I know has since had to be redone and I also had that place that set fire to my Beetle, so I'd rather take this on myself than let anyone else do it.

It might need doing again in years to come but hopefully I'll be more experienced by then so it's no big deal.

Reply #111
Best way to learn is to get stuck in.
Remember what you weren't happy with and correct it for next time.

Just a shame it won't be in time for Volksfest
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #112
You'll need to be careful some porch pirate doesn't think you've just been delivered by Amazon and they've carried you half way down the road before you realise.

Great work as usual,... credit where it's due, well impressed at you tackling this yourself.

Reply #113
Still plodding along slowly whenever I get chance to grab a bit of time. But a day off last week and a bit of time over the weekend has pushed things forward quite well.

Thursday I took the front bumper and arches off, and was pleased things weren't too bad.

Scabs dealt with, wire-wheeled and rust treated.

So after some very hillbilly masking, and keeping an eye on some ropey looking rain clouds ....

We have paint !!!!

The (fake) raptor might not be a very OEM approach but it's all behind the trims and will hopefully delay any future issues.
I'm happy with how it looks and even though I masked it was just for overspray and I'm happy with how I've mostly blended the finish.

With the front bumper off though I did however discover a weeping radiator, but thankfully they're not expensive so no messing around, a new one ordered off eBay should arrive later this week.

In a further session on the weekend I managed to remove the old wishbones, ready for replacements with all new bushes. Although I do have a very stuck track rod end. I didn't need to replace it but decided I'd just do everything and I wouldn't have to worry for a few years. I've separated from the hub carrier no problem, I even split it without damaging the rubber - I think that's a first for me. But it's solid on the lock nut.

Oh, and the new wishbones didn't come with replacement bolt collars so I've had to buy them separately. I've got some more cleaning and Forever Black to do but other than that awaiting on delivery of the extra items so that'll be it till the remaining parts arrive.

Reply #114
Great progress... know what you mean about how slowly jobs can get done, it becomes overwhelming at times.

Bizarre too, looking a near identical car to your own and doing the same work / recognising everything.

The textured stone chip, what brand is it - the finish is what I'd like in places?

Do you need a compressor to apply it, that'd rule it out for me unfortunately?

Reply #115
Here’s what I got.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mipa-TINTABLE-Protector-Tough-Truck-Bed-Liner-Coating-KIT-1L-Gun-NOT-Raptor-/183749759831?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The tintable is supposed to have body colour added to it, but asking around I was told is was creamy white so thought it would be ok on its own. Wasn’t worried about colour match as it’s all behind trims.

But actually it’s quite translucent so didn’t cover the repairs, especially as the primer I used was quite dark. So I had to rush to Halfords and buy a load of tins of alpine white. I but actually it’s covered well and only got away with using 2 tins. But Halfords prices I could have probably got a 1 litre of white and tinted it properly. Anyway results are ok and yes you do need a compressor.

Would hiring one for the weekend be an option?

Reply #116
Lookin good Tim...the Golf looks well too!
I was going to suggest applying heat to the steering arm nuts, that was what worked on mine. I did think that the thread was reverse/different on one side to the other can't remember which side tho.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #117
But first off, here's my blockade arrangement, 1. so I'm not shooting sparks at the other car, 2. to give a bit of wind protection, 3. to deter onlookers.

It works, and I have the theory if it's windy so the card blows over it's probably too windy to be welding outside.

I picked up a welding curtain for not many pennies for this purpose, still not used yet though

Reply #118
Just me being pedantic, wanted to keep that rippled effect on the lower parts.

None of the areas being done will hopefully ever be seen again, behind trim etc. so not really a problem.

Not doing very much either and couldn't justify hiring a compressor or even buying a litre of the stone chip for that matter.

Reply #119
Great work!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF