Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 20908 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #195
I was there! I don't know you by sight to say hello but your mk2 looked very nice 👌🏻

Reply #196
Properly gutted I couldn't make this one, looked like a great meet and your eventual parking spot was pretty sweet!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #197
So yes, I made it to the National Meet.

I won't duplicate all my pics here as I've made a Facebook album, it's public so you don't think you have to have a Facebook account to view it so feel free to have a look:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=710306705&set=a.10158261398021706

Yes, I put the car round the track on Saturday and yes, I put it in the show'n'shine on Sunday.

And by some fluke I bagged the fastest lap trophy in the class of unmodified (engine-wise) GTI. To be fair it was a small category as MOST were modified  :))  but I'm happy to take the win.

Waiting on Chris Eyre to publish the prize-giving pics, and to get my times back.
I'm eager to compare my times with 2016, which was the last time I had a mk2 at the National Meet, my old 8v k-jet.

And no, it's no surprise that I didn't win anything on the Sunday, I was just there for the show numbers.

But some of you may have noticed a slight difference to the appearance of the car, so I feel an explanation is in order.

1. Between 2002 and 2009 I was a self-employed graphic designer, as a spin-off of this I also started doing point of sale, van and shop graphics and invested in some vinyl cutting equipment. When I eventually sold off all the gear I had a load of half rolls of vinyl left so I cut a random selection of brand graphics in various colours for bikes and cars. I originally did the Animal (surf brand) stuff for a mate that had a bay window camper. They've been stashed in my loft ever since.

2. I collect 90's Animal watches, this goes back to the 90s when I used to jet-ski so I am/was into surf brands like this.

3. There's a crack in my rear bumper, due to it being a patched-up tow bar bumper. As a temporary measure it occurred to me I could get down one of the big Animal vinyls and chuck it over the crack until I get round to getting my replacement bumper painted.

4. The idea grew and I thought it might be cool to use the decals elsewhere over the car.

5. At Caffeine and Machine I watched multiple people pass by my car without giving it a second look compared with all the real fancy ones there.

So the thought brewed and, what the hell, let's chuck some of those stickers on and make my car a bit more unique and recognisable, so it stands out a bit more. So Thursday night I was crawling around the loft digging out my old cuts, and looking for all my application tools and I started 'weeding' the various sheets.

And in the true fashion of last-minute National Meet prep, Friday morning, literally an hour before I was due to set off I started working out what I wanted to use and where. I didn't put everything on, but thought I used what I had to good effect. You may notice however, I never ended putting anything on the bumper so the crack is still visible if you look.

I'm undecided if I'm keeping any, some, all fitted, but for now they can stay on.

I was also toying with the idea of fitting my white Italvolanti wheel, but decided against it and I think I'll pop it up for sale at some point.

So on my return home, my wife asked me to pop to the local shops, so here I am, still rocking the track number

Oh and I've also uploaded my in car footage of my laps.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AKAeddypeck/videos

Reply #199
I've got my lap times now, and it appears I had 12 runs in total, but I only recorded 10 on my fake Go-Pro (or No-Pro as I call it).
I was aware of one lap that I forgot to record, which is a shame as I had a passenger and we had an absolute hoot on that one, but it looks like there was another I missed too.

That's made it a little tricky to tie up the videos with the lap times, but I think this might be the video of my winning, fastest lap.

https://youtu.be/IaWmGqiKNsM

Reply #200
Great photos and well done on the trophy 🏆 it was nice to meet you and your son 👍🏻

Reply #201
Well done mate! I recon the Animal stickers made your car faster!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #202
Stolen from Shelly's post, but good meet-up at the regular Bristol event.

Looking forward to next month already, and late last night I did a bit of an unplanned eBay purchase. So all being well, there might be a bit of a transformation for the next time.

Reply #203
late Sunday night I did one of those impulse eBay purchases  ::) we've all been there I'm sure.

And as a result Tuesday night I was heading off on a road trip resulting once again in proof of how versatile a Mk2 Golf is...

And in case you can't tell, what's in there is a pair of these.

Along with a 60/40 rear bench.

Yes, it's a set of leather recaros, heated, and already on mk2 bases!

Those of you zooming in, might spot they're Colour Concept seats, and as far as I can tell they're originally black (I know they did black on black) and not re-dyed as most of these seem to be bright colours.

Also, it turns out they're from a Colour concept 6n Polo, not a Mk3 Golf. I only just found out they did a colour concept Polo!
The guy I bought them off had them fitted in a mk2f Polo, so he's already had the bases narrowed, and looking at how they've done it it's been done in a really clever way and not bodged at all.

Being Polo ones I think they're a little smaller, than MK3 Golf ones, they don't have the bit plastic surround on the base and they sit a bit lower too, so should be perfect in a mk2.

As mentioned, they also came with back seats, again they'd already been modified for an earlier polo, not sure yet how I might fit them as they are separate base and back, so the base flips forward and the back lays flat, unlike Mk2 rear that rolls forward. I've been looking at the fitment and it might mean I need to visit a scrap yard and try and get a few extra brackets.

I'll place them in and see how they compare with the width, and if I think I can fit them I'll have a go otherwise I'll just stick with the fronts.

Once I've got the steam cleaner to them and applied some conditioner I hope to be updating soon with some fitted pics.

Reply #204
I always wanted a set of colour concept seats. Everyime I look into a set my car normally decides something else needs attention 😅

I'm interested to see how you get the rears to fit. I sat round your home made fire the other month so I'm sure the welding skills will come in handy here!

Reply #205
Mk3 Golf rear hinges should fit, weld to body, may have to extend the locating bars each side to click into the mk2 retaining points, the base should just fit in as there are more holes in the body already

Reply #206
Speaking of welding, well it hasn't been as simple as fit and forget with these seats. I noticed the driver's side right-hand bolster, although not worn was a bit floppy. Not knowing how these seats are constructed I thought something might have come unhooked or unbolted so I stripped them down.

And found this

But luckily, with the welder at hand this was fixed in no time, and although not obvious under the leather the foam was a bit distressed so I took the opportunity to pack it out a bit and repair the foam.

Sorry forgot to take pics of the re-welded rail, I was just eager to get it back together.

I then wasted some time making a small link loom so I could connect the seat plug to my aftermarket heated seat set up without having to hack either the seat connectors or the fitted loom.

I say wasted time as I realised I used the wrong plugs and have female to female ends. Now, who doesn't love a bit of girl-on-girl action? but on this occasion, there was no happy ending so now I have to try and source the correct plugs.

But I think I can cope without heated seats for now, so I just cracked on and got them fitted.

Reply #207
who doesn't love a bit of girl-on-girl action?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #208
Made it out the September Bristol meet

On the way home, the car gave a little swerve and I heard a clunk! I nursed it home OK but the steering felt out.

So Saturday morning it was up on stands again so I could investigate and this is why it's important to have a good check-over after hammering it around a track - clearly, I ignored such advice and just carried on driving it.

:o

You may remember I fitted all new bushes and control arms a while back. I still had the old control arms in the garage, I didn't want to chuck them as they were original and thought I might restore them one day. Anyway, one still had the ball joint in so I was able to get replacement bolts and I also swapped out the retaining plate.

I was worried the captive nut might had gone on the big bolt, but tightening it up slowly there was no issue, so it's all back together fine now.

While it was jacked up it gave me a chance to have a good pre-MOT check over. And I'm happy to report all seems well, CV and steering boots are often the ones that catch me out. General corrosion is at a minimum, but I squirted a bit of rust treatment around here and there where needed.

One thing I did spot though was this

Which was a bit of a surprise as it was one of the first jobs I did when I got the car, even though that's almost 3 years now but the car was off the road for at least half of that time when covid work from home came in. It looks melted so again I assume it's a result of the track action at the National Meet.

Anyway, thankfully I had some spares

Including some spare bushes so that's all sorted now too.

One thing I think I forgot to say at the time, I picked up an adjustable short-shifter at the National Meet. I fitted it track side at the time but it was set to a conservative halfway. Since I had all this apart again I've now refitted it with it extended to the full extent. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Reply #209
Wow that's crazy how loose your subframe and ball joints have got. I'll definitely get under mine for a spanner check now!

Have you seen the relay shaft balls gas n gears make? Well worth the expense if you can get one made