Skip to main content
Topic: Test Your Knowledge - Halloween Special... (Read 931 times) previous topic - next topic

Test Your Knowledge - Halloween Special...

Not really a test as I'm not sure of the answer yet.

More or less worked my way down through all the boxes that contained MK2 bits.

This is in the last one along with other identifiable small items though I have to admit to recognising the odd MK1 thing in there also for some reason so don't take it as a given it's MK2 or even something VW made.

Should have included a reference in the photos for size comparison - it's approx 7.0 cm x 5.5 cm and about 1mm thick, made of a smooth rubber material.

It may have curled slightly through age or it may have taken on the shape of where it was sited, there's also a very slight circular indentation around the hole that may have been caused by whatever fastened it on.

The long sides and end away from the hole look machine cut and regular, the end at the hole end less so.

Question then is... do you recognise it and if so is it a MK2 item (or MK1 if you're familiar with them) or just someones add on for whatever unknown purpose? 

Re: Test Your Knowledge - Halloween Special...

Reply #2
Had it been leather I would have guessed it was a swatch for interior leather seating/panelling etc should repair work needed. Also, not uncommon for new leather steering wheels to have this type of ‘tag’ attached.

Reply #3
Its made of the same type of material as the radiator cowling vent flaps, though I think it's got a weave pattern to it? This is completely smooth.

Reply #5
Its made of the same type of material as the radiator cowling vent flaps, though I think it's got a weave pattern to it? This is completely smooth.

Have to admit, I was thinking Radiator Flaps too.
Now I'm completely stumped!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Think there is a similar flap to the rad flaps on the wing vent. Either front or rear but it was 10 years since I last seen them so could be way off

Reply #7
Think there is a similar flap to the rad flaps on the wing vent. Either front or rear but it was 10 years since I last seen them so could be way off

think we had the rear wing flap thingy previosuly

Reply #8
There is a patch of rubber about that size that sticks on the OS suspension turret in the engine bay.  Stops something rubbing the paint, would have to check what.  Not sure why it would have a hole in it though.

The rubber isn't in place in this picture but there are two studs close to where the the rubber goes.  Mine glued on but likes to fall off, perhaps in the past the rubber was secured to that upper stud?

Reply #9
Recall an image recently where there looked to be a similar'ish rubber pad attached between the single stud that holds the large double fuel line clip, sited just as the pipes emerge from behind the plastic cover of the chassis leg tunnel (that runs to the underside of the car, if that makes sense?)

It may be as you say to prevent chaffing as the lines could potentially contact the metal of the turret.

Will try to find the pic. again and see if mine fits there.

Reply #10
I've checked my car the stuck on rubber patch is further round the turret.  It stops the brake master cylinder reservoir from contacting the turret.  It probably won't be listed on 7Zap, RH drive cars only.
At 7 cm your wouldn't reach from the stud.

Reply #11
Think you may have solved it, don't remotely remember taking it off,  but it would've been a long time ago I suppose.

Fits perfectly and has the exact shape of the stud / turret. Fuel lines are hanging free here, the flap would be between them and the turret normally.

This is the pic. I saw... doesn't seem to be the same type / shape of flap, but the principles there.

Reply #12
Pleased we solved it, must be my turn to set a challenge then.  Where do these go?  Could be too easy but I think they were substituted by a single foam patch on later cars.  That would make sense, the sponge item acts as a moisture trap spent half the afternoon removing rust from under and around the old one.  Should have put something in the picture for size, the big one is about 7cm square.
If it is too easy, what did I make my new sponge part from?

Reply #13
Padding for the wiring that runs to the fuel tank inspection lid?

Reply #14
Padding for the wiring that runs to the fuel tank inspection lid?
Good call!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster