Skip to main content
Topic: Biggest sensible wheels  (Read 1363 times) previous topic - next topic

Biggest sensible wheels

Am looking for advice please at the minute am running schmidt Th-line alloys on my lowered mk2, they are a square set up 7.5×16 ET26 with 195/40 tyres.
The fronts are at my maximum width but the rears need to be wider. Am getting the complete set refreshed over winter and will run wider lips on the rear.
What is my maximum width I can go on the rear 8inch or 8.5?
And am lost What tyres to run also on the rear, please help its giving me a headache?

Trying and mostly failing to keep a rust old tart of a golf on the road.

Re: Biggest sensible wheels

Reply #1
Can anyone give advice please?

Reply #3
Why do they need to be wider? Could you not run spacers?
I've tried spacers but found it difficult to find ones that work.
I'd rather do the job properly and get the rear alloys made bigger, they should look better also.

Reply #5
Fair enough, I can’t say for sure but personally I’d play it safe with 8”. Might be pushing your luck with 8.5
I thought the same Eddy I just hope just going 8 inch will be noticeable enough to justify the cost.

Reply #6
Are cars modified in this way for cosmetic reasons?  Are there any other advantages?

Reply #7
Are cars modified in this way for cosmetic reasons?  Are there any other advantages?
Purely just to fill the arches which in my opinion will make my mk2 look better. Will wider wheels and tyres improve handling....nope just makes it more difficult to steer with no power steering.

Reply #8
Not something I've got involved in to the extent you plan to, the most I've had to do was calculate clearances for winter wheels / tyres which aren't usually that significantly different from standard specs.

There's quite a few sites out there that do the exact same thing, but this is the one I've got used to using so works for me...

1010Tires

Facility to calculate both wheel and tyre sizes separately.

As a base line the standard BBS RA's are 15x6 et38 on 185/55x15's.

You've non-standard suspension too, that'll probably play havoc with the calculator.

When they substitute a different width lips, does that impact on the offset?

Reply #10
Not something I've got involved in to the extent you plan to, the most I've had to do was calculate clearances for winter wheels / tyres which aren't usually that significantly different from standard specs.

There's quite a few sites out there that do the exact same thing, but this is the one I've got used to using so works for me...

1010Tires

Facility to calculate both wheel and tyre sizes separately.

As a base line the standard BBS RA's are 15x6 et38 on 185/55x15's.

You've non-standard suspension too, that'll probably play havoc with the calculator.

When they substitute a different width lips, does that impact on the offset?

Changing the width of the lips shouldn't alter the offset,  looking at the link you kindly posted thank you.

Reply #11
Purely just to fill the arches which in my opinion will make my mk2 look better. Will wider wheels and tyres improve handling....nope just makes it more difficult to steer with no power steering.
I do think bigger wheels gives the cars a modern look that contrasts nicely with the retro shell.  I'll be keeping mine standard on its little shopping trolley wheels.  Empty arches and a high ride will be quite unusual to see as more cars are modified.

Reply #12
You could also space out the stub axels or for mk3 beam.
I've never considered spacing out the stub axels Eddy, didn't even know this was possible.

Reply #13
Correction to my above... taking a wheel off last night and noticed it's et35, not 38  :-[

Reply #14
My schmidt wheels have been sent of to Unique_wheel in Hull, looks like things are going to get expensive.  Just ordering the rear lips alone is probably £500 then am going to be hit with import tax gulp....that's before any work starts.  Apparently the cost of schmidt alloys has doubled since I purchased them years ago.
Time to sell a kidney I guess.