Skip to main content
Topic: Need the number from vin (Read 353 times) previous topic - next topic

Need the number from vin

Hi can anyone help me. I bought my son a mk2 last year which he loves. Problem is I took it for mot and they won’t test it as the vin doesn’t match the reg number. I didn’t check when I bought it  :'(

Don’t know how it passed last year unless they just didn’t check?

I wrote to dvla explaining and six weeks later still waiting for any kind of response.

Someone suggested that I need to get the v5 for the vin number on the car? But obviously I need the reg number to do this which isn’t what’s on the car.

Anyone know what I can do? Has been suggested I have to scrap it which would be awful as it’s in great condition.

I did an HPI on the vin number and it’s not written off or stolen but it didn’t give me the reg number it should have

Re: Need the number from vin

Reply #1
With the v5 and previous mot print out you should be able to find out the garage that MOTed it last year.

Might be worth getting in touch to see if they have any further knowledge of the car. Maybe it was on a private plate, maybe the person put it back on the original plate before selling it but did something wrong or DVLA messed up.

I believe Cazana do a vehicle check that gives you historical events, such as change of ownership and registration changes.

I hope it’s just an administration error, worse case you might have to wait for DVLA to pull their finger out and apply for a new V5 with the appropriate plate.

If it’s not stolen and you have proof of purchase I can’t see there being any issues.

And I know it’s a pain but in a way glad to get it sorted, as I imagine had you had an insurance claim you may have come to find out you weren’t covered and could have got into all sorts of trouble quite innocently.

Best of luck, please keep us updated how you get on.

Re: Need the number from vin

Reply #3
Pm me your VIN number and the registration it’s currently on, I might be able to get the registration number through work ;)
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit