Skip to main content
Topic: Worst bits (Read 2475 times) previous topic - next topic

Worst bits

Just for fun.

I think we all agree our Mk2's are great. But most of us also have the use more modern cars.
We spend a lot of time focusing on the positives and enjoying the good bits, but what do you find the worse bit of driving/owning a mk2 Golf?

For me right now it's the stock brakes, I hopped out of the Mk2 and straight into the Mk5 and nearly went through the windscreen with the first tap of the pedal. I have to admit I was surprised the brakes on the Mk2 passed the MOT, I definitely need to sort them out.

Re: Worst bits

Reply #1
The feeling of vulnerability driving among larger, stronger, heavier cars.  I once said it feels like driving a motorised skate board in your undies.

Edit, scuttle shake really reinforces this feeling for me.  I t reminds me there is not much metal in a MK2.

Reply #2
Just for fun.

I think we all agree our Mk2's are great. But most of us also have the use more modern cars.
We spend a lot of time focusing on the positives and enjoying the good bits, but what do you find the worse bit of driving/owning a mk2 Golf?

For me right now it's the stock brakes, I hopped out of the Mk2 and straight into the Mk5 and nearly went through the windscreen with the first tap of the pedal. I have to admit I was surprised the brakes on the Mk2 passed the MOT, I definitely need to sort them out.
I've not driven my MK2 for a few years but I have no recollection of the brakes being inadequate.  Granted they are small by modern standards but the cars don't weigh much.

Reply #3
I've not driven my MK2 for a few years but I have no recollection of the brakes being inadequate.  Granted they are small by modern standards but the cars don't weigh much.

Prior to the MOT I replaced front flexi-hoses and rear bias valve so I have had the system open to the air. Have pulled through plenty of fresh fluid at each corner but I think it wouldn't do any harm to re-bleed now it's had some use. They're not terrible, just not as instant as the Mk5 and it's most noticeable swapping between cars when shuffling around on the drive. Could probably benefit from news discs and pads of a decent brand (no idea what's in there, it's how I bought it) but I'd like to go upgrade to at least 16v 256mm discs on the front and do the Polo conversion on the rear at some point.

Reply #4
Unusually for a MK2 these days I still have VAG discs and pads.  I would have thought a quality brand such as ATE would be just as good though.

Reply #5
For me its the lights on dipped beam they are candle like. I would agree about the brakes they work fine but you have to press the pedal a lot harder
scs

Reply #6
Are the problems with brakes more to do with the amount of servo assist that modern cars have over MK2.

Reply #7
I would say definately down to the amount of servo assist
scs

Reply #8
I’m not sure the same level of servo assist would improve things and could be dangerous. The cars dont weigh much, there is not much rubber in contact with the road and there is no ABS to save you when it starts sliding. You have to stand on the brakes to haul up, its safer that way giving the driver more control. They do haul up.
Modern brakes feel like the braking effort is determined by the pedal position, not how hard you press. Wouldn’t work with a MK2

Reply #9
I need to alternate between my golf and wife’s Cooper S and this highlights the gulf in braking department! That said, just need to focus on each cars capabilities at all times. Have only once had to haul golf in well hard to avoid embarrassing discussion with local farmer. Have since fitted ‘upgraded’ brake pads from Heritage which has helped as well as changing brake fluid which appeared to have been ignored for at least 7 years?
Only prominent bugbear is getting car dirty! It’s black and have to contend with using a road which services a quarry, currently sourcing material for Hinckley Point C power station. Apart from weekends, this main thoroughfare is permanently coated in a limestone slurry which plays havoc with sills and lower panels unless removed asap.

Reply #10
I need to alternate between my golf and wife’s Cooper S and this highlights the gulf in braking department! That said, just need to focus on each cars capabilities at all times. Have only once had to haul golf in well hard to avoid embarrassing discussion with local farmer. Have since fitted ‘upgraded’ brake pads from Heritage which has helped as well as changing brake fluid which appeared to have been ignored for at least 7 years?
Only prominent bugbear is getting car dirty! It’s black and have to contend with using a road which services a quarry, currently sourcing material for Hinckley Point C power station. Apart from weekends, this main thoroughfare is permanently coated in a limestone slurry which plays havoc with sills and lower panels unless removed asap.

I went through your little village on the weekend, me and my son took our bikes out for a blast. I wasn't aware there was quite so much new development going on also. Just like our side of the A38 you seem to also be loosing green-space at an alarming rate too. Yet the perfectly good house at the top of the hill still remains empty due to some 30 year old planning dispute, you'd think if there was so much need for new housing they'd allow people to use the existing housing. I estimate our house is worth about £80k less than it should be thanks to the extensive new builds in our surrounding protected green fields  :'(

Anyway, enough of this off topic nonsense, back on track...

Reply #11
Here’s one, the lights. OK back then but not great compared to Bi Xenon.

Reply #12
I’m in moaning mode 🤣. Why is the steering wheel fixed?

Reply #13
Heat insulating green glass. The only option I specified and paid for. It doesn’t work.

Reply #14
Heat insulating green glass. The only option I specified and paid for. It doesn’t work.

How do you know? Your car might be half a degree warmer in winter and half a degree cooler in the summer than one with clear glass. Either way, it looks better lol