Skip to main content
Topic: tick over problem  (Read 591 times) previous topic - next topic

tick over problem

Hi everyone!
I brought a mk2 golf for my first car, a 1.6 driver, and recently took it out for the first time learning to start and stop. before it was running perfectly and after a few runs starting and stopping when I took my foot off the clutch and accelerator, it cut out on tick over. When my dad was driving it home it kept doing it. I'm not too sure what the problem is, maybe one with the carb or an electrical gremlin. Anyone know of an issue?
Thank you

Re: tick over problem

Reply #1
A common issue can be the rubber carb mount splits so sucks in air below the carb. It can be hard to spot as stationary the weight of the carb seals the split. But an easy and relatively cheap fix I believe. I’d start there and rule out any other simple problems with a decent service covering the basics; plugs, leads, filters, dizzy cap, rotor etc

Reply #2
I only have experience this problem with Golf Digifant fuel injection and a normally aspirated classic mini.  Both cars faded and stopped as I pulled but started again and ran and drove fine until the next set of traffic lights. Both cars. for very different reasons were not getting sufficient air into the engine to maintain idle.  Dirty / corroded connectors to the idle control valve on the Golf and an issue with carb adjustment on the mini.
Getting a manual and learning how your carb works would be a good step.  Will also help with understanding any advice given.

Reply #3
as eddy says carb mount force the carburetor back and forward side to side the split should open up
Old timer
mk2 golf atlas grey 2.0 abf
mk1 golf cabriolet gti sapphire blue KR conversion in progress

Reply #4
I only have experience this problem with Golf Digifant fuel injection and a normally aspirated classic mini.  Both cars faded and stopped as I pulled but started again and ran and drove fine until the next set of traffic lights. Both cars. for very different reasons were not getting sufficient air into the engine to maintain idle.  Dirty / corroded connectors to the idle control valve on the Golf and an issue with carb adjustment on the mini.
Getting a manual and learning how your carb works would be a good step.  Will also help with understanding any advice given.
thanks mate replaced it just before christmas and it runs nicely