Skip to main content
Topic: Lockdown mk2 jobs (Read 1432 times) previous topic - next topic

Lockdown mk2 jobs

Ok guys and girls, so what jobs have you been doing to your mk2 golfs or jettas over the lockdown period?

Re: Lockdown mk2 jobs

Reply #1
I need to sort my photos and do a build-thread update... but stripped seats and repaired bolsters, and fitted Heated seat pads, removed carpets, cleaned and repaired some holes. And refitted, wired up seats and fitted dash switch.

Retumbled book lock so all doors match a single key.

And not directly mk2 related although it will benefit from it - in the process of laying a concrete base for a new 16x10 ft shed/workshop I’m having custom made for.

Was working from home, but have been furloughed last 2 weeks, back to work next Monday I think.

Reply #2
I have been making a powerbox for the garage (it's in the street but no power.) and also started restoring the BBS I picked up years ago.
Mk2's are for life not just for show season :-)

Reply #4
I've fiteted a stereo, changed the heater matrix, installed a refurbished heater box and fixed some mouse-eaten wiring (car was in a garage for 10 years before I got it) and now have some new temperature sensors to plumb in.  I also have to attend to the water pump pulley which has worked lose and made the car sound like it had a bottom end knock!!!!
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #5
I need to sort my photos and do a build-thread update... but stripped seats and repaired bolsters, and fitted Heated seat pads, removed carpets, cleaned and repaired some holes. And refitted, wired up seats and fitted dash switch.

Retumbled book lock so all doors match a single key.

And not directly mk2 related although it will benefit from it - in the process of laying a concrete base for a new 16x10 ft shed/workshop I’m having custom made for.

Was working from home, but have been furloughed last 2 weeks, back to work next Monday I think.

Looking forward to the heated seat write up1

Reply #6
Posted the first image below up on the old site about two weeks ago... At that point my daily hadn't moved in about two months, and that didn't change until today when I finally got the bucket and sponge out.

Seems a shame, but it might get in the way by the time I can drive again!

Reply #7
I painted my grille surround. Took way longer than expected to mask-up and I ended-up using all manner of tape because I didn't have enough masking tape. In fact the masking tape I had kept needing a quick blast in the microwave (matter of secs only to refresh it). I layered the paint on fairly thick and had a mishap when I put my palm on wet paint. The end result looks surprisingly good with very little paint bleed.
https://ibb.co/GH0cmQ7
A subsequent tidy of the coal shed yielded 2 unused rolls of masking tape. Grrrrrrrrr!

Also reading Eddypeck's post about heated seats primed me into action (I want a heated screen too since it's grim up-north). I've dismantled the drivers seat and will replace the foam with a spare set. I'm not a confident electrician so I may get someone to wire the in (I still need my heated mirrors that I fitted years ago connecting-up!)
https://ibb.co/v3pCdMC

Finally I thought I'd look at the rear brakes since they are binding (They are MK3 calipers). I was ready for replacing the pistons and seals but noted that the handbrake cables weren't moving freely, hence the handbrake mech on the rear caliper wasn't fully releasing. Two new handbrake cables later and the rear handbrake seems to be releasing fine. Those guide tubes are sch a PiTa!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
loads of wiring and an electric aerial

Reply #9
I have fixed the sunroof :) next job is to remove an aerial on the wing and blank off and fix headlining
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #10
This week I modded a dash blank to house the heated seat contols.
Took a bit of thinking through. Just noted that the switch the kit comes with fits but isn't the same style.
End result.
https://ibb.co/Qv0dbBp
It's a bit mangled round its base but you can't see that when it's installed.
Now just need to install the heated pads to the passenger seat and connect it all up.

Reply #11
Ordered a new clutch & release bearing so that I can finally change the gearbox to eradicate the lovely crunchy 2nd gear!  Cam belt tensioner is a bit squeaky so a new one of those is on order too..................
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #12
Today I unearthed a MK3 front top mount set I have yet to fit. My car is currently slightly nose-up on MK2 top mounts so I'm wondering if I should put my pair of Eibach progressive lowered springs to make it sit level. Most write-ups on swapping the mounts indicate it raises the front and I'm not a fan of it looking nose-up. I don't intend swapping the rear springs but any thoughts on fitting the lowered springs just on the front anyone?

Reply #13
MK3 top mounts fitted with the Eibach springs. Just need to take it for a whizz and check the results. If all good I'll get the alignment done.

Reply #14
Mounted the rear bumper plastic back on the iron of the 16v after i ripped it off catching it on a racking in the garage  :'(  ;)