Skip to main content
Topic: Helios Blue LA5Y paint (Read 1185 times) previous topic - next topic

Helios Blue LA5Y paint

So I sold my MK2 Helios to my mate and he is in the process of getting it painted but has hit a snag, all the paint samples he has tried don't seem to include the purple in the OE Helios, there are variations of the colour but he really wants the original colour.

Where is the best place to source this?

Cheers

Re: Helios Blue LA5Y paint

Reply #1
He's got it sorted.

Reply #2
Glad he’s sorted was just about to answer
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #3

Yeah it's coming along nicely, will be putting his build thread up when all the piccies come in.

Reply #4
Lovely colour
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
Would your mate be one of the original gang of three?

Is it not a bit of an emotional roller coaster seeing your old car with someone else, even they are looking after it?

Reply #6
Would your mate be one of the original gang of three?

Is it not a bit of an emotional roller coaster seeing your old car with someone else, even they are looking after it?

Gang of 3?? not sure what that means?

It is a bit emotional as I owned it 19 years but I took it off the road in 2008 for no particular reason other than I had bought a cheap runaround which was used as a daily so the Golf went in the shed where it stayed for about 8 years until the shed was rotten more or less.

Took it out with the intention of giving it a clean which I did but then started doing fiddly little jobs with new pedal rubbers, replacing OE trim from the Wolfsburg stuff I had and making it original again, I  had kept all the original parts.

Got it buffed, first time in nearly 20 years and booked in for MOT in 2018 but the day of MOT the battery I ordered never turned up so it sat, car was in good shape and original but I just had no inclination to do it.

So it came up about selling it and I had already had about 1 person a month knock my door and could have sold it many times over but couldn't bring myself to, then my mate asked and knowing how well he has done his cars in the past I let it go for a good price with the option of buying it back in the future.

Turns out the car is solid, no major rust apart from some on front wings which he replaced and a couple of patches on the rear arches but very little, he has said to do him a build thread when it's finished as he doesn't do forums.

I am a bit sad to see it go but happy to see it get sorted as it deserved it, I have some history with that car, brought my daughter home in it after she was born 19 years ago, I had a MK1 Helios Campaign that I couldn't fit the pushchair in so bought the same colour MK2 and sold the MK1 (big mistake lol).

The original plan was to keep the original paint as it wasn't bad at all but a mishap on buffing the bonnet made the decision to go full paint, car will be kept original but probably get BBS.

Just looking forward to seeing finished!

Reply #7
I thought perhaps it was either Johnny or Martin who'd got her now.

There's some who'd likely laugh, but I think you're right ... you do get genuinely attached to them, specially the longer you have them.

It's not just the physical car, but like you say the memories they have also.

Found myself patting the 205 on the roof the other night when it decided to play ball and fire up on the button after being apart for months!

Looks like she's not going to be wanting for anything, big bonus if you might get her back some day.

Reply #8
Yeah it's Martin who has her.

Sorry didn't realise it was you, different name lol.

Reply #9
He sent me a few sneak peeks, when the sun hits it the purple really pops!

Reply #10
Going to be a beezer... He'll be able to satisfy his polishing fetish now.