Skip to main content
Topic: Jade Green 3dr 16v Project (Read 2109 times) previous topic - next topic

Jade Green 3dr 16v Project

As title really. This is my Jade Green 16v 3dr project. It's going back to a bare shell and I'm hoping to order a rollover jig in the next few weeks. Once it's up on that it'll get pretty much every panel that you can buy welded in, plus a few body cuts from donor cars if I can get some decent ones. But, it'll be worth it, right?

The project came with two 2.0 engines. A 9A Corrado engine and a Mk3 ABF engine. I've got a couple of matching gearboxes also.

I've budgeted around 2 years and about £5k for the project. Both of those might be wildly conservative though.

Re: Jade Green 3dr 16v Project

Reply #1
First small patch repair. Klokkerholm part from VW Heritage.

Threw some (badly matched) Jade Green paint on it because I'm impatient.

Then seam sealed it because I'm sensible.

Forgot to take a picture after I put more (badly matched) Jade Green paint back on top of the seam sealer.

Had to make and let in a little repair for the chassis leg. I've not got a picture of it dressed, so here's what my ugly welding looks like.

Reply #2
I love watching projects like this.
I'm doing a very similar thing to a red 8v, it's definitely worth doing.
5k might be a bit conservative, maybe more like 6 or 7, but I'd say you're not far off the mark.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
I'd budget more with the idea of £7k. Obviously the more you can do yourself the better but looks like you have a handle on that.

As for the engine, the Corrado 9A runs on K-jet injection so since your 16v is already that my personal preference would be to keep that set up and use the Corrado engine, you already have the correct fuel pump etc. It'll also look more similar to the original 16v with the fuel metering head ad fuel lines etc in the engine bay. K-jet is generally more tunable, however it's of the age now where unless everything is in good condition it can be problematic, not many people these days know how to set it up and many chose to just swap out. A 9A conversion would make for a nicer completed package if you ask me. But looks like you might be a while off from making any engine decisions.

Reply #4
I'd budget more with the idea of £7k. Obviously the more you can do yourself the better but looks like you have a handle on that.

As for the engine, the Corrado 9A runs on K-jet injection so since your 16v is already that my personal preference would be to keep that set up and use the Corrado engine, you already have the correct fuel pump etc. It'll also look more similar to the original 16v with the fuel metering head ad fuel lines etc in the engine bay. K-jet is generally more tunable, however it's of the age now where unless everything is in good condition it can be problematic, not many people these days know how to set it up and many chose to just swap out. A 9A conversion would make for a nicer completed package if you ask me. But looks like you might be a while off from making any engine decisions.

I'd go for the best of both worlds, get the ABF engine and stick it on the K-Jet.
You get to keep the oe look, but benefit from the better engine.
The ABFs make 150 out the box, by the time you have ditched the cat, stick on a four branch and get the k-jet setup right, you'll probably see nearly 170. A friend of mine had that exact setup on his and it was great.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Other than the original tank and hard plastic lines fitted to the car still I don’t have a fuelling setup for either engine.

I haven’t researched enough about it but I was wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to go MK3 tank and pump etc. and this would lend itself more to running the ABF engine. I’ve got a hydraulic pedal box and the engine/gearbox mounts I need. Plus I have an ECU and engine loom for it.

Reply #7
Some random pictures.

The start of the strip down.

9A engine

ABF engine

Started to strip some parts off it before putting it on an engine stand for storage.

Reply #8
Other than the original tank and hard plastic lines fitted to the car still I don’t have a fuelling setup for either engine.

I haven’t researched enough about it but I was wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to go MK3 tank and pump etc. and this would lend itself more to running the ABF engine. I’ve got a hydraulic pedal box and the engine/gearbox mounts I need. Plus I have an ECU and engine loom for it.

In which case, yes the ABF probably wins. I was thinking along the lines of converting an already K-Jet car. My old one was an 8v K-Jet and I had toyed with the idea of 2.0 16v, and had come to the conclusion if that's what I was going to do I would have gone down the 9A route. I however no longer have that car and the current owner is in the process of fitting an R32 engine.

My current one is a later, 8v Digi.

Reply #9

Reply #10
The looms are out

Reply #11
Had a few hours on the car over the last couple of days.

Got the looms and wiring removed, boxed up and labelled.

The fuel tank and hard lines removed

Reply #12
With the looms, servo and hard fuel lines removed from the bulkhead it meant I could get busy removing the chassis leg closing plate that needs replacing.

I need to get all that cleaned up and rust treated ready to start welding the new panels in place.

Reply #13
Great work, I'm enjoying seeing all the progress.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #14
I'm in Covid jail until Thursday so I might have time to get all that chassis leg and inner wing cleaned up and prepped ready to be welded. I bought a new finger sander which is proving to be ideal for spot weld grinding.

My initial plan was to get the front chassis legs repaired ready to order up a rollover jig. Still on with removing all the bolt on panels. Got the bonnet and drivers door to go. Turns out I've pushed the car too far over towards the wall to get the drivers door open far enough to get access to the hinges. Might need to do some moving later. Should manage it with a trolley jack or my engine hoist.