Skip to main content
Topic: sunroof drain channels  (Read 1223 times) previous topic - next topic

sunroof drain channels

Whilst replacing my headliner I noticed the drain channels had rusted through
What’s my best option as don’t want to put new headliner in until the channels have been fixed

Re: sunroof drain channels

Reply #1
Whilst replacing my headliner I noticed the drain channels had rusted through
What’s my best option as don’t want to put new headliner in until the channels have been fixed

Got any pics of how bad it is? I think this has been covered previously but that would have been before the forum was updated so I'm afraid that content is lost.

Reply #2

hope I’ve done
It right 😜

Reply #3
compared to others here, i do not know much about the matter,
but i would clean everything up with a rotary wire brush, put rust converter and zinc spray,
and then do the dirty fix and glue a half pvc pipe in with silicone.

or you replace the well altogether.

Reply #4
maybe brushing some paint on, before getting dirty, i forgot ;-)

Reply #5
I thought I responded to this some time ago, apparently not.
Plastic replacement as suggested is a possibility. I though would have two fabricated and welded on.

Reply #6
I thought I responded to this some time ago, apparently not.
Plastic replacement as suggested is a possibility. I though would have two fabricated and welded on.

Likewise I thought I’d replied. I wonder if something went wrong and posts were lost? Or perhaps I just never actually replied lol.

Anyway I’d look at cuts from a donor car and try to get it repaired. Alternatively a fibreglass or carbon roof skin and delete the sunroof.

Reply #7
Never done this. What diameter is the drain tube?
It would probably be best replaced by a plastic tube but then there is the issue of how to secure them.

Noted these on ebay.
Second hand tubes

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
Never done this. What diameter is the drain tube?
It would probably be best replaced by a plastic tube but then there is the issue of how to secure them.

Noted these on ebay.
Second hand tubes

I'd stay clear of those tubes; look knackered.  I don't know the size but easily measured once the roof liner is out.

Reply #10
It's not the tubes that are the issue here. This is an ideal candidate for vacuum forming to create a plastic repair panel that could be bonded on. Not sure anyone is doing this though.

Probably not but based on my experience with glass fibre recently a wooden mould cold easily be made and  glass fibre replacement made and bonded on.