Skip to main content
Topic: MK2 Side Light connection (Read 1380 times) previous topic - next topic

MK2 Side Light connection

Has anyone got a MK2 sidelight connection please?
Mine has a dodgy lower connector. The bulb works fine with a wriggle but any shock and it disconnects!
I've tweaked the side connectors that hold the bulb. No joy.

Thanks in advance.
Andy
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: MK2 Side Light connection

Reply #1
To be fair, you can buy brand new ones from Heritage for less than a tenner.
Most people remove the arch liners, so they get hammered by everything the wheels flip up.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
I'll take a look on the VW Heritage.
It holds the small bulb in the headlight unit.
It is a short cable in the engine bay about 6" long from memory.

Reply #6
Thanks, found it on VW Heritage.
MK2 sidelight holder

Reply #7
Ordered from Heritage via ebay.
I've also ordered an LHD bonnet catch because my spring has broken and I can't find one. Seems strange they made a different catch for us RHD drivers.

Reply #8
I've also ordered an LHD bonnet catch because my spring has broken and I can't find one. Seems strange they made a different catch for us RHD drivers.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the cable is routed the other way around the bay, meaning the bonnet release catch is always drivers side whatever side of the car the driver sits.

A lhd catch can be used but you have to flip it round, fairly sure that’s what my last one had done as it worked the opposite way to everyone else’s.

Reply #9
Thanks Tim. My original plan was to just use the new spring on the existing catch. Perhaps I should smother it in grease too to stop it rusting.
I looked for a replacement spring in my garage drawers but only found one which is far too weak.

Reply #10

I’m not 100% sure but I think the cable is routed the other way around the bay, meaning the bonnet release catch is always drivers side whatever side of the car the driver sits.

A lhd catch can be used but you have to flip it round, fairly sure that’s what my last one had done as it worked the opposite way to everyone else’s.

Unfortunately that's not the case, if you look at yours, it'll have a small catch at the leading edge where the bonnet hook goes into - it's to stop the bonnet flipping up if triggered when driving.
If you rotated this, it would be at the rear of the car, also the bonnet catch wouldn't fit any more.

Sorry, the LHD one you've bought is no good
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #11

Unfortunately that's not the case, if you look at yours, it'll have a small catch at the leading edge where the bonnet hook goes into - it's to stop the bonnet flipping up if triggered when driving.
If you rotated this, it would be at the rear of the car, also the bonnet catch wouldn't fit any more.

Sorry, the LHD one you've bought is no good

Not on my current one, but the old D reg. The hole in the slam panel is a circle with a flat edge. The catch was on the circle side not the flat edge and when you pop the bonnet you the 'hook' went the opposite way to normal (sitting at my computer I can't remember if you pull towards you or push away) it always caught out anyone that tried to open my bonnet! So I assumed it was a LHD one that had been flipped. Wasn't perfect but it worked.

Reply #12
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr

If you look at that photo, you can see the spring retainer is on the left and the hook catch is on the right.
A LHD will be a mirror image of that, so even if you rotate your corresponding bonnet catch, the hook will be backwards to how it should fit. So it won't actually catch on anything, if you get it to go in.
I think that makes sense.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #13
So going back through my old photos I've found this one, it's from the original for sale ad, and I've never noticed before but the catch is missing, which confirms someone had changed it...

Anyway, I can't find any pictures which include the catch on the bonnet, but surely as long as both parts are changed they will still line up, so it's just the operation of the hook will be reversed, which must have been what was done on mine. It seems LHD ones are easier to come by.

Reply #14
So the goodies arrived today.
I'm going to remove the grille and just replace the bonnet catch spring, keep that "lived-in" look.
It is a mirror image of RHD.
Whilst the grille is off I'll remove the right headlight and fit the new sidelight connector.
and whilst I'm at it I'll fit the upgraded headlight loom. I've only had it a couple of years but mainly use lit streets.
I took the car out in the Peak District and it was like driving with a bicycle headlight- stressful.
I think I've got Osram Nightbreakers fitted.