Skip to main content
Topic: Advanced Driving (Read 480 times) previous topic - next topic

Advanced Driving

We have members who are very interested in advanced driving. Comments though are being posted on a thread relating to abs retro fit to a MK2. Let’s try and stay on topic.
Advanced driving comments, enquirers or challenges here please. 

Re: Advanced Driving

Reply #1
I'll put my stake in the ground for discussion - I'm interested in this stuff and learning more. I just read around and have watched some youtube videos todate - RegLocal has some good content https://www.youtube.com/c/RegLocal

We all like cars and learning abit more about car control on the road is good for all I think.

Reply #2
Most people, when they discover you are an advanced driver, ask the same question.  Is your insurance cheaper?  My answer is, I don't know.

The financial benefits of advanced driving are there but are not obvious.  Cars last longer, my record is 230k miles on an Audi A4, we had a MK3 Golf which made 180K miles and we currently have an E Class on 160K miles and an Audi A2 on 170k miles.  Taking cars to high mileage makes for cheap motoring.

A further financial benefit is that none of those cars have been, or were, crashed.  So insurance does benefit from high no claims and you don't have the stress and cost of dealing with a repair or a write-off because of a dented front wing.

That brings me to probably the biggest benefit, being in control and observing and anticipating reduces the stress associated with driving these days.  It is just more comfortable (also quick if you focus on police driving rather than advanced driving, more of that if the thread develops).

Getting an introduction to advanced driving is usually free, local groups usually run assessment drives and give advice.  If they train you they will expect you to join. There will be a charge for joining a local group.  Track down your local group here https://www.iamroadsmart.com/

Or you can read about advanced driving, the Police Drivers Manuals were bought used for around £3 each.  The Guide to Advanced Driving was bought from IAM web site above.

Reply #3
So what's the test like and do you have to take one? A lot of people are put of on beingexamined but practical experience goes a long way to getting trained and using the skills in everyday life.

I think you're right about cars lasting longer, not only because you avoid collisions but also becuase the driving style doesn't overload the car. Even simple things such as pulling down with the right arm on the steering wheel when turning right (rather than lifting from the left arm) not only steers the car in a more controlled manner but saves on suspension components too being a lot smoother.

Reply #4
Two questions, let’s deal with costs first. There is something though that is common to answering both; I passed my advanced test in 84. The reason I have the books and have taken an assessment drive recently is because I am teaching my son to drive. I wanted to be sure my knowledge and driving style was still relevant and correct.
Costs, I’ve not checked current thinking but what I was taught is simple, engines, gears and clutches are for going. Only engage and deploy them to go (never change down on a relaxed accelerator, steep hills and ice aside). Brakes are for stopping or slowing. I was taught wear and tear is transferred to consumable components, the brakes. With good observation and anticipation brake life though appears normal.
I was taught two further things car sympathy and always being in the most responsive gear. Car sympathy simply means not crashing through pot holes and puddles or over speed bumps. Being in the most responsive gear is very good for engine life, engines running at peak efficiency last. Over the years though I have modified this to being in a sufficiently responsive gear. This is also not in keeping with current best practice that emphasises the most economic gear ( there is some confused logic here though because peak economy coincides with peak efficiency).
One final point is that entering a corner at the correct speed for the corner keeps the car not only safe but balanced too. Stresses are minimised on suspension components.
Thoughts?

Reply #5
Too many years ago now I received ‘Road Craft (Police)’ training from both Essex and Wiltshire Constabularies. At the time, it was generally understood that this training provided the fundamentals of advanced driving. Much of which is still to my mind relevant today - observations, physics won’t change.

The core objective was to make progress in an organised constructive way instead of ‘flooring it and hoping for the best’. Fuel economy was not on the agenda then however, ‘car comfort’ was.

I have not undertaken any form of advanced driving since but after all these years the following learning points have wedged themselves in my sub-conscious and often re-emerge;

Always drive at a speed which allows you to stop safely in the distance you can see ahead to be clear. Always assume there is an elephant sat in road around a blind corner. Conduct a ‘cockpit control’ procedure before driving off to ensure all car controls are functioning correctly and you have all adjustments made (mirrors, seat) and fluids are in order.

At end of each course we had to be tested by civilian advanced instructor before we got our certifications. Part of the test involved giving an unbroken commentary of what we could see ahead, mitigating road speed and general awareness of speed limits and road hazards etc. I still do this occasionally in my mind.

By way of putting all us aspiring boy racers in our place the Sergeant instructors would occasionally take control of one of the cars and lead us home while applying all the instruction we had received. Needless to say after a few miles he was out of sight and was waiting by the side of his car back at base.

Drive safely.

Reply #6
At a slight tangent, I've ridden motorbikes for over 20 consecutive years. Actually ridden bikes for over 30 years now but had a break between 50/125cc as a teenager and returning to 2 wheels in my late 20s when I took my test and moved up to larger bikes. For the majority of that time, a motorbike has been my all year / all-weather transport. While the kids were younger etc, we've had one family car which has been my wife's. And I've always had a bit of a commute, for many years racking up close to 15,000 miles a year on a bike in all conditions.

It's only since I got back into Mk2's that I've had my own car as well as a bike, and for almost the past 2 years since COVID I've been mostly working from home so it's only now I feel kind of semi-retired as a biker. I now have the choice to ride the bike when I want to not when I have to.

Anyway, my point, after the years and miles I consider myself a pretty good rider but wanted to get confirmation, test myself, and improve - and try and get rid of the bad habits I know I have. So Christmas 2019 I decided my present to myself would be to do the IAM rider course and in Feb 2020 I signed up and had my first observed ride. Then COVID hit, and everything was cancelled. Even when things started back up my designated observer was a busy guy and it was difficult getting in the rides, my membership was extended due to COVID, but still, in 18 months I only managed 4 rides and whilst useful hadn't get as far as I would have wanted and no mention of being tested - they say about 10 rides is a good guide, so you should be able to do it within a year going out once a month, quicker with the opportunity to go out more.

When it came round to them asking me to renew I didn't have the confidence that I'd be able to get the rides in that I needed so I let it lapse, I have the handbook, have taken away some of the advice and comments from the rides. But overall It's a massive shame about the circumstances because I know my negative experience with the process is not related to the course itself.

I don't know if I'll return to it at some point, my son has now passed his test and moved up to a bigger bike so maybe it'll be something I'll do with him in future.

Oh, and obviously it's a well-known fact, bikers make better car drivers  ;)

Reply #7
With Eddypeck re’ bike rider ‘road craft’ application versus car only drivers.

Between 1983-1986, in tandem with my driving training, my work area also included motorcycle surveillance duties. In this period I completed my basic training and attended two further refresher courses, all courtesy of the tax payer and Essex Police. Road Craft was again the bible we all adhered to. There is something to be said for hitting the apex of a bend accurately and giving it the beans on exit.

Generally, I think bikers do make better drivers because they are constantly having to monitor all traffic immediately around them trying to anticipate the ‘biker blind’ punter. As a car driver I know how easily it is to miss presence of a bike, particularly at junctions. Hence, a bike rider is a more focussed traveller on the roads who sees and negotiates more hazards as a consequence.

My ‘advanced’ bike training instilled a survival instinct in me from the outset. I always carry out the suicide glance behind me each time I move to right of road or prior to overtaking.

Am now between Mk2 Golf ownership and have acquired a grand old single cylinder Royal Enfield for leisure use only. This bike, compared to my previous high powered rides, requires me to be even more alert to fellow road users as I don’t have a get out of jail acceleration card. I still rely on the Road Craft ethos to put myself in the best/correct position while on the road at all times and have already benefitted from a rear glance when a fast moving car appeared in my blind spot ( not caught in rear view mirror) just on cusp of turning right.

Reply #8
I’ve never ridden a motor cycle and would never wont to get on one. However if your assertion is that motor cyclist observe and read the road better, then yes bring on those skills to all car drivers.