Skip to main content
Topic: Switch Emblem... (Read 433 times) previous topic - next topic

Switch Emblem...

Got this along with some other stuff from Germany. It's totally unrelated to what I bought, no idea why it was even included, nor the story behind it.

Have already Googled different things, but nothing's leaping out at me.

Anyone recognise the makers logo? I've shown it both ways about in case it's not the obvious 'fk' it seems to be and avoid you having to strain yourself looking at the PC upside down.

The function emblem on the switch is the other thing. First thoughts were it's roof opening related, but just a guess plus it's a very old item that may even pre-date that sort of technology.

It operates in a simple on / off way but needs to be held in (goes either to the left, or to the right) to operate otherwise it'll spring back to the default central position.

Should've included a photo of the rear pins, they're the round type that pre-date spade connections.

Re: Switch Emblem...

Reply #1
Merc W115 sunroof switch, late 60s to mid 70s.

Looks like a good one too.

Reply #2
The manufacturer logo looks like and f and a k between two electrical sparks. So the electrical
Sparks/lightning bolts makes sense for a company that makes switches. Jus t need to work out who fk are. Not that is matters now as pwardy has given the answers to what it is, but just as a matter of interest.

Reply #3
AEG factories Kassel?

Reply #4
Excellent... thanks!

Had a look around and there seems to be some sort of demand for them, who would've thought.

Maybe I've picked it up wrongly, but there also seems to be a Porsche version of it with a black as opposed to chromed bezel. Some references to cars as late as the early '90's having them which seems bizzarre.

Seems to be quality reproductions available too. Sort of implies the originals don't last though which might be bad news for this one.

It is a bit clunky but as you say in good condition, maybe see if I can work out the terminals and wire it up to a bulb to check things... eBay might be beckoning.

Reply #5
Set the switch to one side and forgot about it until last night when I'd another mooch about Google.

This is just one of a few I found, but with the obligatory Porsche premium suitably added.

eBay

Not that interested to spend time checking, but it's always possible Merc. used a Porsche switch as opposed to the other way about.

Anyhow, reminded me of when I was sourcing Peugeot 205 parts and it transpired the round dash buttons (heated rear window / fog light / hazard lights) were used much later on by Lotus on the Elise.

The Lotus Esprit used the 205's brake reservoir cap / low level switch.

The Porsche Boxster has the interior rocker light from a 205.

One I haven't confirmed as I've never physically seen them is the window switches on certain series of Land Rover Discovery... look identical to Golf MK2 to me, but maybe you know otherwise?

Has to be numerous other examples out there... not talking kit cars or low production models, or brands within the same company but mainstream makers that plunder other peoples parts bins.

Reply #6
I suspect the low volume manufacturer plundered the high volume manufacturers parts bin.  Porsche is the low volume manufacturer but if it is the same switch I'd sell it as a Porsche and offer eBays international shipping service. 

I had a value of £50 in mind as a Merc switch.  That Porsche premium is silly but well worth having.

Boxsters have 205 switch, would that be 986 series cars?  I know there are loads of Audi parts on them.

Reply #7
No interest in Boxsters so don't know one version from another other than to say this advert rightly or wrongly states MK1.

eBay

Sit close enough to the screen and you can see the Peugeot / Talbot / Citroën emblems.