Skip to main content
Topic: My wife's car wouldn't start (Read 530 times) previous topic - next topic

My wife's car wouldn't start

How to Clean iRobot Roomba: A Short Maintenance Guide for New Owners (2022)

Congratulations on your new Roomba!

If this is your first robot vacuum, you’re in for a treat. Compared to traditional vacuum cleaners, these handy little robots are far more convenient and can save you a ton of time and energy doing chores around the house.

Unfortunately, because of their unique design, you probably got a lot of questions about these robots. Particularly, How to clean Roomba robot.

This short guide is a crash-course to cleaning and maintaining Roombas. In addition, we’ll also give you a few tips and tricks on how to prolong the lifespan of your robot for as long as possible. After all, a Roomba — even the most affordable ones — isn’t cheap!

How to Clear a Roomba’s Dust Cup

Similar to normal household vacuum cleaners, a Roomba stores all of the dirt and debris it picked up inside of a special compartment. You have to clean this compartment regularly. If it’s full, the robot’s performance is going to suffer. Worse, it may even refuse to work at all.

Depending on your Roomba model, the procedure is going to be different. But usually, there’s a bin release button on the robot’s body. You can find it either at the back or right on top. They’re typically denoted with a trash can icon.

When pressed, it will open up the dirt compartment. Pull out the plastic dust cup inside and dump the contents into the trash. Shake vigorously to dislodge all of the debris and dirt.

Replace the cup back into the robot.

How to Clean the Air Filters

The air filters take out all of the harmful particles in the airflow that enters the robot. They have two purposes. One, they prevent the dirt from infiltrating and damaging all of the sensitive components of the robot. Two, they may protect you from airborne threats like pollen and airborne bacteria.

A Roomba’s air filters are usually attached to the dust cup. Check your user’s manual to see where they are.

Usually, all you have to do to “clean” them out is tapping them against the side of the trash can to shake loose all of the dirt and debris. Most Roomba models — even pricier ones — do not come with washable filters. Instead, when they show their age or break down, you have to buy replacement filters and switch out the old ones.

How to Clean the Brushes of a Roomba

The brushes are critical components that help a Roomba do its job. They sweep up dirt and dislodge stubborn debris from the floor. Because they are the parts that regularly have to interact with dirt, dust, and the floor, they tend to be the ones that get dirty or worn down the quickest.

So, pay close attention to them.

Usually, there are two kinds of brushes on a Roomba: a rotating side-brush and a primary floor brush at the center.

To clean the side brush, use a screwdriver and take out the center screw that holds it in place. The brush should fall out easily and you can clean it with a dry, clean cloth or rinse in clean water. Ensure that it’s completely dry before you put it back in.

The primary brush is a bit more complicated. You need to remove the cover plate by taking off a series of screws. It should open up the brush compartment and you should then be able to take it out. Clean with a dry cloth or give it a rinse in clean water. Dry thoroughly before reinstalling.

Conclusion

These are the most basic maintenance steps that you need to know as a new Roomba owner. For more tips and tricks, you can check out our other guides How to Clean iRobot Roomba at our site or via our social (https://twitter.com/williamcawleys/status/1654074845901238275).

Re: My wife's car wouldn't start

Reply #1
What engine?

Could be crank position sensor if it's a mk3/3.5 cabby.
If so you are best to get OEM quality, cheap sensors can cause issues.

Reply #2
Engine control relay, think it's 30 or 109 iirc, I had one, was pain to diagnose as it could be fine for days then just stop and start when it felt like it

Reply #3
Engine control relay, think it's 30 or 109 iirc, I had one, was pain to diagnose as it could be fine for days then just stop and start when it felt like it
Think it's 30 from memory.
But agree can cause intermittent problems