Skip to main content
Topic: Syncro or CL? (Read 415 times) previous topic - next topic

Syncro or CL?

Greetings from Sweden!

My first post here so tell me if im posting in the wrong topic.

My name is Wilhelm and i have been looking for a mk2 in good condition for over a year for my 18th birthday. (Due to my nordic settlement my English will be quite poor). Im trying to choice between to cars that i have found. One Syncro from 1990 for 25000kr (roughly 2400€) with 22000km on the odometer and 98hp in a ok condition. And one CL (driver) owned by a old man in my neighborhood with 8000km wich i fell in love with the first time i saw it. In a silver metallic colour and almost mint condition!

My question: let the heart choice ore acting like a businessman and choice the more coveted car? And is the CL still fun to drive with its small 75hp engine and 5speed gerbox? Its quite vauge information but it would be fun to hear your opinions!

Re: Syncro or CL?

Reply #1
Hi and welcome,

I'd say the most important thing to look at is the condition of the bodywork.
Which is the best condition car?
Which has the least rust?

The other thing to consider is with the Syncro there are a few parts that are specific to that model. The Syncro is quite scarce in the UK which for us here might make it harder to service/maintain... but if they're more common where you are maybe not something you need to worry about.

Once you have a good solid base upgrades and modifications can be carried out (although I think Swedish laws might be quite strict, I'm not sure) if you want to go down that route, so I wouldn't worry about the smaller-engined CL. The Syncro will be heavier.

Re: Syncro or CL?

Reply #2
Hi and welcome,

I'd say the most important thing to look at is the condition of the bodywork.
Which is the best condition car?
Which has the least rust?

The other thing to consider is with the Syncro there are a few parts that are specific to that model. The Syncro is quite scarce in the UK which for us here might make it harder to service/maintain... but if they're more common where you are maybe not something you need to worry about.

Once you have a good solid base upgrades and modifications can be carried out (although I think Swedish laws might be quite strict, I'm not sure) if you want to go down that route, so I wouldn't worry about the smaller-engined CL. The Syncro will be heavier.

The Cl is the least rusty one i think and as you said its easyer to maintain and its lighter! I will go for the Cl! And the Syncro was sold just hours before i would have taken a look at the car. Too bad!