Skip to main content
Topic: Should I have rub strips?  (Read 592 times) previous topic - next topic

Should I have rub strips?

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I'm wanting to get my MK2 closer to how it came out of the factory bodywork wise. A previous owner painted it and smoothed various bits and pieces  ::)

I think it should have rubstrips on the doors, but not sure if I need the small ones or the wider ones. It's a 1986 CL had a 1.3 engine and hit the road in April 86'.

Re: Should I have rub strips?

Reply #1
You are correct it should have rub strips they should be wide ones. There are I think two types one plain and one with a red stripe I don't know which is correct for your car. The strips are attached to the car with clips that fit into grommets that fit into holes in the doors.

Reply #2
Wrong, pre-87 cars had solid rubber strips that were stuck on with two sided trim tape. There were no holes in the bodywork, nothing has been filled or smoothed.

Not all models had them, it’s possible they were not on a base spec car like yours.

If it had them they would be narrow. I think there’s a post about the in the knowledge base showing the types.

Reply #3
I stand corrected

Reply #4
Much appreciated for the replies! Better get on the hunt for narrow ones.

Reply #5
on heritage parts centre, they offer a reproduced full set for half the price.

is it the right one ? it is probably made for those grommets.

to my knowledge the golf c had no trim (you said strips) and no clock.
has your car a clock in the facia panel (behind the steering wheel) ?

Reply #6
on heritage parts centre, they offer a reproduced full set for half the price.

is it the right one ? it is probably made for those grommets.

to my knowledge the golf c had no trim (you said strips) and no clock.
has your car a clock in the facia panel (behind the steering wheel) ?

The Heritage listing is wrong, they list 1984-1992 which is the lifespan of the cars production, but what they are selling would only fit 1987-1992

Reply #7
If you look here.... https://issuu.com/vwgolfmk2oc/docs/1985eurogolfmk2

On pages 12-13 you'll see the 1985 (which should be the same as yours) C and CL, the CL does have rub strips, the C doesn't.

On pages 4-5 you get a better view.

Noting from the C there are no holes in the bodywork, the trims are stuck on.

There are a set of stick on trims on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165302567999?hash=item267ccd043f:g:CEUAAOSwPP1h8bDH

Although I don't know what's going on with them as they look awful, they are also not the correct ones. The ones you want, I don't know how to describe it, but they have a different profile, they are not flat.

Reply #9
Sorry Eddy just seen your very helpful replies!

Funnily enough the guy from the first eBay link was selling some of the ridged ones. I went to get them and he thought I should have had the other style, told him no and brought the ridged ones home!  :))