Skip to main content
Topic: Wheel advice - Et20 (Read 813 times) previous topic - next topic

Wheel advice - Et20

Hi,  first time MK2 owner here.
Looking for some advice on wheels for my new MK2.
I've found a set of wheels I like the look of but I'm a bit worried they won't fit. They are 4x100 ET20 J7.5 16" Borbet As, has anyone got any advice/experience on running this offset/size.
Cheers

Re: Wheel advice - Et20

Reply #1
Hi,  first time MK2 owner here.
Looking for some advice on wheels for my new MK2.
I've found a set of wheels I like the look of but I'm a bit worried they won't fit. They are 4x100 ET20 J7.5 16" Borbet As, has anyone got any advice/experience on running this offset/size.
Cheers

I'm fairly sure they'll fit fine. But you also need to consider the centre bore size to ensure it fits over the hub OK. This is usually solved on aftermarket wheels with an oversize centre bore that's sized down with spigot rings. The Centre bore for Mk2 is 57.1mm I think, For example, 4x100 is common on Renault, but the centre bore is 60+ which can be sized down. But Rover and Mini also use 4x100 but the centre bore is 56 so needs to be machined out a little to use those wheels.

There's websites around that give all the info, and you can also use https://www.willtheyfit.com/ to help by entering your current set up and the new set up to work out optimal clearance and tyre size etc.

Reply #2
Here's the spec for a mk2 https://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Volkswagen/Golf%202%20(1983%20-%201992).html and a list of what other OE wheels fit, I know that's not what you asked but worth considering. And might be helpful if you know what vehicle the wheels you're looking at are currently on.

Reply #3
Amazing thanks for the info. I've just heard back, they have been on a MK2 previously so should be all good to go. Cheers

Reply #4
I had 7 inch ATS Cups on mine with an ET20 and on the rear they rubbed over bumps, ET20 will poke more out to the arches plus you have an extra 1/4 inch width from centre so a total of around 6.5mm more poke, mine was standard height with new standard shocks and springs so quite soft on the rear, if you have stiffened suspension you may be ok or run 195/45 tyres, I ran 195/50