Skip to main content
Topic: 2006 Mk5 Golf GTI (Read 2802 times) previous topic - next topic

2006 Mk5 Golf GTI

From June 10 2019.

The new daily. 2006 MK5 GTI 2.0 TFSI
2 owners, the 1st owner is the 2nd owners father-in-law so a family owner car with full VW service history. And a great sepc.

Finger crossed this one works out well. Wasn't convinced on DSG, but it was the compormise I decdied to make to get a good example that had all of the other spec I wanted.

And I know you lot love pictures, so here's some from the ad. Haven't had chance to take many of my own yet:

Now with the daily sorted, I can focus on getting the "toy/project", will hopefully be the owner of another mk2 before the end of the year

Update May 14 2020.
I did manage to do that. Picking up a new mk2 October 2019.

The Mk5 is my wife’s car and the mk2 is my daily.

Almost a year of owning the Mk5 we both love it.

Re: 2006 Mk5 Golf GTI

Reply #1
Popped up in my Facebook memorise this morning, as a year ago today we picked this up.
I have had to do a few jobs on it, expensive stuff like air conditioning compressor unfortunately and complicated stuff like thermostat (which involves removing so many parts) so spent some cash in the process. But as I see other Mk5s around, which are getting on a bit now, it still makes me happy that this is a very fine unmolested example. Would be nice to get the wheels refurbished but that's an unnecessary expense right now.

Reply #2
I really like the Mk5 platform.  We had a 2005 GT TDi for about 18 months which had 170,000 on the clock but as it had a full service history from new drove like an absolute dream.  Interior was a bit drab though as it was typical VW grey but managed to get the bargain of the century on a full GTI interior (including door cards & arn rest) for the princely sum of £118 on eBay then £50 to get the bolster on the drivers seat rebuilt!  It is probably one of the most comfortable drivers seats I have ever sat in :D  If you ever need to sort the bolster out on the drivers seat I found that T5 Anthracite fabric from AS Trim, although slightly thicker, was an exact match for colour and weave.
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #3
I was after one of these back in the day but ended up with a Leon FR. We didn't really get on with that car so sold it after a couple of years. I know if I'd bought one of these I'd still have it today.

Reply #4
Absolutely love my mk5 gti, got a 5dr red one, its a work car that i bought cheap and did a fair bit of work to.

Its such a nice car to drive and eats up the miles, bought it on 154k and its just about to clock 170k, only bought it in January this year  ;D

Its got some form of map so 230bhp area and has done 40+mpg

Reply #7
Winner!

I'd get that tyre changed though  ;)
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #8
Winner!

I'd get that tyre changed though  ;)

haha, yeah!

I checked them over before it went in, tbf, they're all a bit poo. and the front are always loosing air - which is really hard to tell on 40 profile, they look flat all the time anyway.

I'll likely get a set of 4 on there soon. Would like to get the wheels refurbed though but that's money I don't have right now.

Reply #9
is really hard to tell on 40 profile, they look flat all the time anyway.

Haha! I have that same problem!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
Worth an update I suppose, even though it was ages back. I stuck a set of Yokohama V701's on. They were a good price off eBay compared to other brands for the size : 225/40 18

I'm really pleased with them.

Also done a service, and while I was under the car noticed
a. the lower intercooler clip wasn't properly fitted probably from when I had the air con fixed as I'm sure they had to remove most of the front end so sorted that
and
b. the sump plug was weeping slightly which most likely accounts for the 'Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))' comment in advisories. So that can be ticked off.

Reply #11
Good news, Friday was Carole's last day working at the Cement factory (reminder, yes this is Carole's car really. I have the mk2 and a motorbike). So hopefully won't be such a battle keeping it clean anymore. Her new job is just a mile away so will be keeping the miles off this now too. Another 1000 miles and it will equal the mk2.

A quick blast...

.. would benefit from a good deep clean, clay and wax. A few stone chips need attention but hoping from now on it can be better looked after. Hard to believe this is a 15 year old car already.

Future classic here with a bit of luck.

Reply #12
No one can predict the future, but I genuinely believe if plans for electric / internal combustion vehicles go ahead as claimed our current (and potential future classics like your MK5) will become more and more desirable as they become less and less available.

Yes, there'll likely be a price to pay... higher taxes and less ready access to fuels for example, but on the whole I don't see classic ownership dwindling in my lifetime - just too big a part of the population have a deep interest in them.  

Reply #14
Just say to her "yeah, I could do with another mk2..."
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF