Skip to main content
Topic: What to get rid of (Read 798 times) previous topic - next topic

What to get rid of

Following Eddys thread I've got my own dilemma where I am not seeing the wood for the trees.

As some of you know I have a Corrado VR6,  mk2 16v and a mk3 16v. Im becoming a bit of a hoarder with the cars and know I should sell 1 or 2 of them. The money would be nice to put towards some house remodel work but really I dont have the time and they take over alot of my free time which i do enjoy but have 2 young kids and enjoy cycling as well which can have me gone for a couple of hours.

I'm posting here because the mk2 is my favourite for looks and isn't one I would sell. Besides its under mid renovation too.

The Corrado I have had for 5 years, renovated with all new suspension, bushes, brakes/lines, engine refurb, new paint and much more. I used to love the car but getting more and more bored of it and hardly use it. Im up and down with it but everytime I do drive it I love it, mainly because of the engine. I worry ill crack a light or dent a wing and be subject to not being able to find parts for it. Actually I am hoarding spare parts for it such is the problem with parts supply. The corrado has done 155k but of course is more like a 3-5 year old car after the work. Its a nice spec - black leather, 16in speedlines  263 cams, centre console dials. If I sold it I would not be able to find another and would be upside down on sale price vs renovation cost.

The mk3 is coming to the end of its renovation. It has had the underside completely refreshed and powdercoated frames, brakes/lines, new bushes. Engine is midway through having all the seals replaced and cooling system refreshed. I still need to get the bonnet and roof painted. It also has some nice spec and is low miles - 78k - european Recaro edition interior, 16in bbs rx 772s, b12 suspension, miltek (obsolete). The car itself has a shell is great for condition and originality. I bought the mk3 16v because I thought I had missed the mk2 16v boat.

If I am honest I prefer the shape of the mk3 over the Corrado. Since getting the mk2 the Corrado has lost its sparkle in my eyes and is starting to look awkward from some angles. Any random person who visits my house ignores the corrado and b-lines for the Golfs (I.e delivery drivers when I am out working on them). I only have space for 2 cars undercover and actually have left the Corrado outside for the last 12 mths.

The mk3 is too similar to the mk2. The Corrado has the engine. If it was a mk3 vr6 that would combine the two cars nicely but I'm not starting that renovation game again and actually I prefer the looks of a gti mk3. On the flip side the mk3 values are beginning to rise so maybe I should hold on to it - because of its mileage its a good car for an investor. The Corrado doesn't have that attraction and perhaps Corrado values have peaked - 12 to 15k for a very good vr6 is as good as it gets? Such a niche car and niche market. Whereas Golfs are loved by many.

In a sensible, balanced world id just keep the mk2. I've kept the other 2 because they are great examples, I've put a lot of effort in, and it is the "what if" regret scenario that makes me keep hold. What would you get rid of?

Re: What to get rid of

Reply #1
Just to add both corrado and mk3 are very original untouched by bad owner cars. Unlike my.mk2 where I have had to reverse some wrongs. I know all the cars well as have stripped back to shells.

Reply #2
I want to say keep the Corrado but I didn't realise their limited appeal and issues with parts.  Also it is outside which won't be good for it.  So if I were in your shoes the Corrado would be the first to go.
If you need to dispose of a second this is a no brainer to me, the MK3.  I respected them but never liked them as much as my MK2.

Reply #3
Cheers. I could swap its place with the mk3 soon when its done so it is back inside. That was the long term plan once mk3 was done - that was going to be my daily for a bit whilst the other 2 were summer/nice day cars. However I went a bit mad with the mk3 so it has taken longer 🙃

I did have 5 VWs at one point so I suppose progress has been made. I am at a bit of lull motivation wise right now.

Reply #4
I'm just envious you have more than one "collectable" ☺. We have 4 cars and space for 3 of them if I was happy with juggling them...I'm not so one stays outside my Mum's a mile away.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
It's a posioned chalice having the room tbh! I like to make the cars as good as I can - aim for as though they are 3 to 5 year old - and it gets expensive and time consuming. The mk3 was just meant to be a quick little job to make road worthy and it was going to be my daily classic but on inspecting it I found everything bush wise was factory original, even the fuel filter was date stamped 1996 so although it is relatively low mileage it was in need a decent refresh.... as i was getting my mk2 frames powdercoated I decided to do mk3 at the same time so have 2 cars on the go which I will admit is too much timewise.

Reply #7
It's exactly that on Corrados. They just aren't loved in large numbers. To many it is probably a case of - yeah they are nice but wouldn't want to own one. Less practical, parts of a PITA and heavily scene taxed and if you have the sort of money they are now worth there are a lot of other "sports" cars available for the dosh. 

Also bodywork is pretty tricky on the cars - no repair panels available unless you go to VW classics and pay nearly a grand for a wing or an entire quarter for an arch. Sure some bodyshops will be able to fabricate but they are in the minority - you're basically paying for e-type repair work on a ford fiesta valued car.

Reply #8
It's a tricky one.

But if it were my choice, I'd loose the mk3, I've never really been hugely fond of them.
I feel your pain with the Corrado parts as my wife has a storm and we're dreading loosing (another) headlight.
But I still feel the Corrado is a better car than the mk3, the mk2 isn't even up for consideration from me!!

I suppose, which car will you enjoy more?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #9
I've bought 2 x spare passenger lenses if I recall, but the otherside is obsolete. That said they are approx £200 a light second hand and that isn't that bad compared to modern cars. What is annoying is driving around with Hella fog protectors and headlamp covers just incase!

Hmm which do i enjoy most is a tough one. I like them all in their own way...

The Mk2 is the best looking and most classy/cool/halo type car. Mines a late big bumper 16v with rainbow - looks great. I don't think I would ever want to sell it.

The Corrado was the first "modern classic" i bought. Whilst at the time I liked the mk2 a lot I really wanted a 6cyl engine and loved the spoiler so went for one of those instead. It felt special to me 5 years ago coming from years of family hatchbacks and estates. If it wasn't for the mk3 taking the garage space for refurb the Corrado would be in the garage. I don't drive it a great deal but when I do I love the sound and the burble from the exhaust on overrun. It has 263 cams which perhaps add to the sense of occassion. I do have a bad taste left in my mouth with the car as it was the first older car I bought and I did make some spending mistakes - spent £2.5k on some bodywork when I bought it which end up needed to be re-done. I've spent a lot on the car overall and the thought of having to spend even more should something break is probably the driver to saying goodbye. Perhaps time will heel that and that factor is overclouding my decision making.

The mk3 I really only like becuase it is a very original car, low miles, nice recaro seats and it feels like a good investment type car. I do like its looks. Perhaps I should just capitilise on it's "investment" appeal and get rid of that. I realise deep down it will always be inferior to the mk2 16v but on the flip side it is a bit of unicorn car - probably the least - edit for forum filter - common  car I own in overall numbers and I'll never get the oppotunity to own one again.

Perhaps i need to invest in a CarCoon and tuck one away - out of sight, out of mind -  and rotate and focys to 2x taxed cars. I don't like seeing one sitting outside, especially baking in the heat destroying my plastics and rubber. Im at a lull with motivation, get frustrated when I don't see progress on cars (mk2 and mk3 and undergoing work in the garage).

Reply #10
I feel your pain with the Corrado parts as my wife has a storm and we're dreading loosing (another) headlight.

Can you get acrylic covers or have them made for a bit of protection?

Reply #11
Monkey/Andy - i have the acrylic covers and hella caps on the fogs if you wanted to see what they look like... I did a walk around video as thought I might be selling it.. seconds thoughts right now though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCGPAJFEhpc

I have bought plastic lenses from Corrado Farm Parts to swap over on spare fog housing units so i can dump the Hella covers. Not a fan of them  on my white car but cracked and indicator on it's first proper trip this year so was thankful it wasnt a fog and got them protected.

Reply #12
They can't look as bad as the old GTI four light covers
Golf GTI Covers
...but that's just my opinion. The clear ones were even worse!

Reply #13
They are terrible!

Reply #14
Just watched your video, got some very nice little touches there too.
I certainly wouldn't be selling it!

We've actually got some headlamp protectors, I just haven't got around to putting them on yet as the car has been off the road for two years.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v