Skip to main content
Topic: Beetle  (Read 393 times) previous topic - next topic

Beetle

Yesterday on eBay I found a really really cool old VW beetle.

1973, 1300 1 previous owner, never restored.
Proper grotty but you could see it was honest and original and could easily be serviced and driven as it with the lovely patina or put through a restoration to be made super nice.

Only 5 miles from my home and just under £5k.

If I’d had a spare £5k I’d have probably gone and bought it there and then and worried about the conversation later but as it is I don’t have any savings stashed so I knew if I wanted it I’d have to have a conversation and work out how I could get it.

Anyway, with it being what it was it was no longer available half hour later so someone clearly snapped it up so I never even needed to have that conversation - probably just as well really  ;D

Re: Beetle

Reply #1
I had a Beetle when I was in my 20's. I really wanted a sloped headlight model. A 1500 is the one to have but instead of buying on condition I ignored an F reg 1300 in bottle green which was a mile away for a 1200 65. A lovely looking sea blue with black/white wheels and lovely original interior. The big problem was the sills and floor were rotten, the body was welded to the chassis and beneath the shiny blue paint was filler and glassfibre. Lesson learnt buy on condition!
Had new floors and sill welded in and it probably cost me twice as much as my original budget. The heater was always disconnected due to leaking heat exchangers/in cabin fumes. In winter there was ice both sides of the windscreen!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
For a minute, I thought you were about to say you bought another!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Not sure you'd be able to afford to run it after the divorce!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v