Skip to main content
Topic: Installed the first axle bush... (Read 711 times) previous topic - next topic

Installed the first axle bush...

And am i overthinking this... I know it is meant to parallel to the axle and that was what I thought i was doing but on review I think I have it a touch wrong - should be rotated clockwise a degree to 2. Does it really matter is the main thought? I really don't want to remove it and i guess if a garage did it you'd never know. Still have the otherside to do.

Probably should have gone poly to avoid the hassle but i was worried about ride quality etc. rightly or wrongly.

I am aware of not tightening the bolt and nut when installing to the bracket on car until it is on the ground/underload. Looking forward to fun and games making sure I have the brackets lined up perfect.

Cheers

Re: Installed the first axle bush...

Reply #1
What are your plans for positioning the axle correctly.  If you didn't remove the brackets you will be fine.  If you did the axle slides around under there.

Reply #2
That will be the next challenge. I did get the brackets powdercoated. At the moment I have them loosely installed but thought to line them up so they are centred on the bolts? What do you reckon - any tips?

Ive read the procedure in the Haynes manual regarding lining up right hand side first l then moving left and then doing something about 12 degrees.

What do you think to the bush - reinstall or fine as it is? I was going to message you on FB this morning as know you are very particular as well on this stuff! Ill fire you a message anyway :)

Reply #3
No I'm looking for tips.  I think I'll video it moving around and post it and ask on Facebook.  The Facebook crowd are quick to respond.  I have a feeling I may have to pay for 4 wheel alignment.  If I can find somebody with the tools and skills to do it.

As for the bush there is a measurement for the protrusion from the axle.  I think it is 8mm but check Heynes.  Mine are out by 1mm but still fit fine.  Checking the angle of your bush compared to Haynes I would not change it.

Reply #4
I've posted over on clubgti and have got some tips now on axle re-install, ill try and regurgitate here -

I knew about this 12 degrees thing but have learnt you install the brackets on the axle, off car, and the brackets need to be 12 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees before torquing the axle bolts.

Once done you then install the axle assembly on the car. You first start on the right/drivers side and located the 3 bracket bolts central to their holes. Then move to the left side and pry the braket so it is central for each bolt hole.

Sounds a simple but tricky job to do on your own.

Also I have seen you need to set up the brake regulator after the axle is installed. I havent got that far yet.

Speaking of brake regulator is it possible to get a new spring? Mine is rusty looking.

Reply #5
Also some people said my bush was probably fine but I have removed it as wasn't happy.

Another thought if like me your car is lowered (c30mm) then surely the 12 degree should be a little bit more, I might go for 14 degrees or something.

I wonder if this is why some people with polybushes say they harsh. I imagine if you torque it up with the axle hanging loose then the bush would be under more strain than designed for when the weight of the is on the bush.

Reply #6
Also some people said my bush was probably fine but I have removed it as wasn't happy.

Another thought if like me your car is lowered (c30mm) then surely the 12 degree should be a little bit more, I might go for 14 degrees or something.

I wonder if this is why some people with polybushes say they harsh. I imagine if you torque it up with the axle hanging loose then the bush would be under more strain than designed for when the weight of the is on the bush.

No my car is factory standard.  Too late for the 12 degree thing the axles and brackets are on the car.  I'll load up the car, torque the bolts then position the brackets as you have been advised.
Torquing the bush bolts on the car has to be better than trying to guess what 12 degrees looks like?  It's the way I've done every other car I own; 12 degrees may be a factory thing to allow the car to be assembled without having to have a 1/2 full fuel tank and somebody sat in the back?

Reply #7
Brake regulator spring.  Mine was a mess, I rust converted it and plated it.  Providing it doesn't suffer hydrogen embrittlerment then I'm fine.  I couldn't find new ones at the time.

Reply #8
I think you are right re 12 degree - on the production line it might make sense but now I think torquing up when on the ground makes most sense, especially like me where you're lowered.

Ah OK on the spring I did similar and painted it.

I managed to get new parts from lllparts if not already aware

Reply #9
Did the job yesterady, sharing for anyone reading considering what to do!

The brackets I installed first without the beam. I spent ages making sure the 3 holes in each were lined up centrally to the holes on the bracket. These were done to 85NM.

I then lifted the beam up into place and threaded through the bolt to nut. Once it is back on the ground I will torque it. I tigthened the bolt with spanners to take the slack (tightened more than pictured). This bolt will be done to 60NM when ready.

There is this 12 degree stuff but I have decided to tighen the bolt when the car is on the ground as then the bush will be set at "rest" in the position of the axle on my car which will be lowered by approx 30mm.

I haven't yet decided what colour to go for in the arch liner area. Either green or I will go for a black. First though the car will be having some arch lips welded and probable some inner arch repairs so am leaving it for now. Unfortantely there is an 18 mth wait at the fabricator so this car will be a long project.