Skip to main content
Topic: engine dies when cold (Read 548 times) previous topic - next topic

engine dies when cold

when the engine is still cold, and the rpm comes down,
it does not catch it and idles, but dies.

what can it be ? maybe something with the automatic joke ?

Re: engine dies when cold

Reply #1
the car got a new clutch, but i was not able to solve the dying issue.

since i have to keep the rev's manually,
this, of cause, puts additional wear on the new clutch.

in the library, i've found a thread about a cold start valve,
which i would like to check somehow, but i can not find it.

could someone give me a further hint about it's location ?

edit: it's a 55hp machine

Reply #3
Before you mess with the carb I'd make sure you check or replace any electrical items that are worn, eg distributor cap, rotor arm, and plugs check for any misfires on a cylinder, eg dodgy HT lead.  If that doesn't make any difference I'd replace the carb mount/flange,  because the rubber ones can split.  If that doesn't fix it, it could be a carb problem, but I'm not familar with these carbs.

Reply #4
i don't know what model variant you have, I have a 1,6 petrol, 8 valve 1991, and I have a manual choke to the left side of the steering wheel, I don't know much about how these cars are meant to idle etc. I have discovered that with mine, the engine currently is happiest idling at 1500rpm, and from cold I have to rev it when cranking, otherwise it will either start and then cut out straight away or won't start at all. When hot if I bring the choke right in so it is idling at 800-900 rpm, then when it is under load, ie trying to perform a hill start with a load in the vehicle (several passengers), the engine is really lumpy and rough and is barely able to cope, but as soon as I pull the choke out enough then it will kick back into life. Sometimes I have found there is a fine line between too far in/out and just right.

Reply #5
i don't know what model variant you have, I have a 1,6 petrol, 8 valve 1991, and I have a manual choke to the left side of the steering wheel, I don't know much about how these cars are meant to idle etc. I have discovered that with mine, the engine currently is happiest idling at 1500rpm, and from cold I have to rev it when cranking, otherwise it will either start and then cut out straight away or won't start at all. When hot if I bring the choke right in so it is idling at 800-900 rpm, then when it is under load, ie trying to perform a hill start with a load in the vehicle (several passengers), the engine is really lumpy and rough and is barely able to cope, but as soon as I pull the choke out enough then it will kick back into life. Sometimes I have found there is a fine line between too far in/out and just right.
When its hot, if you have to pull the choke back out to help it "cope", then its probably running too lean, and you need to richen the mixture screw.  Effectively thats what you are doing when you pull the choke out a bit.  If its running a weber, its pretty easy to adjust the mixture screw, its on the left when looking at the engine.