Skip to main content
Topic: MK3 Aircon into MK2 anyone got a guide? (Read 7376 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MK3 Aircon into MK2 anyone got a guide?

Reply #60
Carlton Hydraulics have the list of Burgaclip connectors I require and I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a price. Hopefully they won't be too expensive. The ends are secured using a plastic carrier over the hose to which 2 x "mini driveshaft boot" clips are secured. That means it can be a DIY job (using other connectors means that crimping needs to be done with an expensive tool and the ends need to be orientated correctly). Burgaclip vid
The Ali clamp which secures the pipes to the evaporator may need some thought since the high pressure side is manufactured on the original pipe. However this doesn't fit with the expansion bottle in its original position. I've cut it so there is a "U" both sides but I'm not sure that will maintain a seal since the pressure is quite high.

Just surfing You Tube and seen a guy in America has put aircon into his hod rod. This clip is 5mins long and shows that he's put a domestic unit in the boot with a disguised mains generator in an old trunk hooked on the back...
Only in America!
Domestic Aircon in a Hot Rod !
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #61
Rubjonny has shared a pic of his MK4 climatronic install. Note he didn't have to do major surgery to his bulkhead....hmm should have been a "follower"

Climatronic HVAC in a MK2 bulkhead

Reply #62
Yeah, Rubjonny is a bit of a guru on all things mk2 and VW in general!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #63
The wiring to pull the compressor in is pretty simple actually, just a circuit with a dash switch and the HP and LP refrig switches in series and the fan relay can be done a couple of ways.
Tonight I set about stripping off all the MK3 engine wiring. I've tried to remove the appropriate connectors out of the wiring blocks but paperclips aren't doing the biz. Was wondering whether to just chop them and replace.
If anyone can share a diagram of the wiring it would be helpful. It isn't in my MK3 Haynes.
I've located the connector for the dryer and compressor but not sure about the outside temp and deffo not sure about HP and LP switch connectors but if I have some wire colours to go on/connector types I could work it out.
Edit. Just found this.
MK3 AC wiring

Re the pipework. VW use aluminium for the aircon pipework however the aftermarket hose fittings are steel which creates a problem.
I've been wondering how I could clamp the Burgaclip hoses to the Evaporator. I've modified the fastening but not sure the small "U" cut-out will hold the high pressure hose in situ (it was originally a hole) however that obviously won't fit over the pipe flange. The alternative is to get the new connector cut put a new clamp on it, then get the pipe welded. Unless I can use some magic?

Evaporator Clamp

Reply #64
Hey, sorry for the (very) late reply.
US A/C 88-89 Golf  8v GTI from Bentley:

I'll post the UK GTI one shortly.
(Not the mk3 ones you were looking for but hopefully helpful)

Reply #65
Thanks Chris. I'm afraid I'm scratching my head when it comes to anything more than basic wiring!

Reply #66
So with the weather picking-up I thought I'd do some prep to move the project forward.
I started stripping the required strands of spaghetti from the MK3 engine loom.This is where you realise the more the loom has been moved around pending stripping the harder it is to trace out the required wires. Oh what F.U.N.
It's now time to bite the bullet, buy the pipework and get the wiring done.

Reply #67
As soon as the red one is finished, I want to pick my project back up too.
I'm fed up of turning the fan on and getting showered with bits of foam!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #68
I do believe mating the MK4 HVAC to the MK2 heater box is the better option since it won't need much bulkhead modding. A bit late for me tho.
I understand Rubjonny was looking at using the MK4 pipework which all runs down the driver's side, however looking at on in a breaker's yard this week I'm not convinced. However he has better knowledge than I.

Reply #69
I may yet switch over to a mk4 unit.  Though the mk3 has the vacuum unit for the recirc flap that I can use.
I've actually reinstalled ac into a mk4 and installed those very pipes.
While it is possible, I'll take a tip from the Bad obsession motorsport guys and run it in flexible AN pipework.
That way I can make a much neater job and don't have to be too precious of where everything is.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #70
Would it be possible to get the part number / photograph of the vacuum reservoir and recirculation solenoid? I'm currently following this thread to install aircon into my MK2 R32 conversion but I'm struggling with the above components. Thank you

Reply #71
Vac tank is P/N 1H0 820 601 I haven't got the valve yet!.
Vac Tank Images

I believe the MK4 HVAC doesn't use a vacuum for the recirculation flap.

Reply #72
That’s perfect, thank you

Reply #73
Bit the bullet and bought the required hose and fittings.

Bugaclip Hose and fittings

All I need to do now is to trial fit it, cut the hoses, put some "line-up" marks on the hose and fittings then return to Carlton Hydraulics to install the "cages" which hold the fittings. The hose isn't crimped so can be altered/replaced in the future.
I'm hoping to use the original MK3 compressor hoses however the thread on the connector to the condenser isn't great. Annoyingly there's problems with ali/ali ans steel/ali connections they like to fuse together 😕.
I have a new nut (2 × freebies) but trouble is getting someone to cut/weld the pipe back up.

edit: I've been wondering what the "supercharger-type" whining from the engine bay is.....I think it might be the aircon compressor bearings.  The compressor has been fitted a while but obviously not piped-up. I guess the bearings get lubricated by the oil in the system? Oops!

Reply #74
Ohh dear, if you've had the compressor on and clutch engaged, chances are that might had damaged the compressor.

I had a mk4 where the previous owner had just cut the pipes as he didn't care about the ac.
I had to replace the whole shooting match.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v