Skip to main content
Topic: MK3 Aircon into MK2 anyone got a guide? (Read 7360 times) previous topic - next topic

MK3 Aircon into MK2 anyone got a guide?

I'd really like to fit aircon to my MK2. It's a 1991 8v GTI Moredoor big bumper which I've had for nearly 23 years and will no doubt be with me for a little longer......
I had a Beetle TDI for a few years but the Golf sat patiently waiting my renewed attention a few years ago.
So back in Jan 2020 I did some surfing on ebay and found someone selling most of the MK3 Golf aircon setup for £40 near Colchester. For a bit more he'll sell me a MK3 alternator adjuster and the engine wiring. So I took a punt based on the fact we have some friends who live nearby and could drop off on his periodic trips North...I wasn't in a rush... However COVID-19 came along and it's still down there!
My idea is to do a staged install. I'll put the modded heater box in and plumb the engine components as and when.
The other weekend I replaced the foam on a spare MK2 heater box and I managed to jump on a RHD aircon parcel shelf on ebay for £35 delivered.
I've  surfed the Internet for any install guides and can only see brief reference to the install on an Australian website, but there isn't much to go on.
Any help would be appreciated.
I guess a Haynes MK3 Repair manual might help! ...... edit - Nah the MK3 Manual is cr4p for any detail re aircon
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: MK3 Aircon into MK2 anyone got a guide?

Reply #1
I've got a Mk3 golf but no air con but I could look in the manual for you. Anything specifically
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #2
Oddly enough, it's a project I'll soon be undertaking.
Only yesterday I stripped the mk3 A/C heater box down and refurbished the flaps.
I'll do a bit of a write up on my build thread as it progresses.

Incidentally, if you see a short a/c shelf come up, let me know!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
So is there a difference between a standard MK2 head box flappy bit and a MK3 Aircon one?? The fresh air/aircon module is oviously a lot larger but I hoped it would clip on the the MK2 one. At worst I suppose I can split the MK3 heater box when it comes and swap the flaps over.

Re aircon shelf. There is a cover on ebay for silly money. I did think I'd make him a cheeky offer because it's been listed for a long time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK2-LOWER-DASHBOARD-COVER-FOR-MODELS-WITH-AIR-CON/323773536379?hash=item4b6268187b:g:HHkAAOSwX8RZ3esq
It looks similar to the one Lukeybabes had ie cover no shelf you can catch a glimpse on his car of the month post on the old website..
The bargain I got has a shelf so I'll still be able to put some tat on it to the delight of Sharknose.... ;D

Reply #4
I took a load of measurements when I had another heater box next to it and the dimensions do seem identical.
Even the flap cables have the same movement as the mk2 ones, meaning you can simply remove the dials from a mk3 item and replace it for the sliders of a mk2 one.
Obviously the proof will be when I come to fit it.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
Look for rubjonnys build thread. He has MK4 climatronic installed I believe.

Reply #6
I'll have a look at Jon's guide although I think the MK4 heater box is different to the MK2/3 one tho. edit Jon only installed the controller, not the whole HVAC.

I bought a cheap chinese vent control off ebay too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fresh-Air-Climate-Heater-AC-Control-Unit-Panel-For-VW-Jetta-Golf-MK2-1983-1992/151997018564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
The moulding isn't great (body a bit bent!) but will dismantle it and put the clear perspex with aircon symbols in mine.

...Excuse my spelling....my typing isn't gr8 but this "B" laptop keeps double typing odd keys!!

Reply #7
The finishing touch.....

https://ibb.co/dtgNjZJ

So last night I decided to swap over the aircon perspex from the cheap Chinese ebay heater control into my OEM one.
Why....because the one from China is bowed! See the daylight in the middle.

https://ibb.co/hcNsZg5

Monkey. Where did you get your aircon switch from and what does it do? Switch the aircon compressor on?

Reply #8
I had given this idea a thought or two, ironically after pulling the compressor off my 20v engine as its dead weight currently, I see this and wonder if i should put it back on.
If its not got a VAG badge, I aint interested.

Reply #9
Keeping an eye on this, would be an awesome upgrade in a mk2 👍

Good luck 🍀

Reply #10
Update.
So this week we were staying in St Neots which is close to where the MK3 aircon setup was patiently waiting to be collected so I made an early morning detour to pick it up along with a couple of other bits.
I'm now back home and comparing the MK3 heater box with a standard MK2 one. I'll post some pics when I've taken a selection since there don't seem to be many on-line.
On the whole there are many similarities. The MK3 aircon module is obviously quite chunky and the blower is mounted vertically not horizontal. The central "mixer" is very similar but the MK3 controls are directly connected to the flaps whereas the MK2 are indirect via additional cogs, they also route slightly differently so I'm not sure if they can be directly swapped over or not The lower bulkhead bolts are positioned differently too.
...tbc tomorrow with a bit of luck!...

Reply #11
I've actually done a bit of work in those respects.

I've had the mk2/mk3 side by side and take some measurements from the matrix pipes (as they will be going through the bulkhead, they were my datum) and the various points, fan intake, various duct points etc. They are all identical.

Furthermore, the cables for the mk2 and mk3 controls actuate the same lengths, so you should be able to unhook the mk3 dials and put the mk2 stuff sliders back in it's place.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #12
Monkey. I recall you mentioning about the cable lengths being the same. I will connect my spare MK2 ones up after work when playtime can begin.

Reply #13
Good luck!

I want to continue my project too, but as my first born is a week away, something tells me I won't be getting the opportunity anytime soon!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #14
Monkey, don't worry, your bundle of joy will be walking before I finish this!!

So I connected the MK2 cables to the MK3 heater box. First problem is that the screen/footwell heater flap cable routes the opposite way hence that set-up isn't going to work.
It looks like the top of the MK2 heater box case will need to be used if not the whole MK2 heater box with the MK3 aircon module attached. If it is the latter then there will be less issues with the bulkhead bolts since the (edit) UPPER bulkhead bolt is lower down on the MK3 heater box.
The MK2 bottom bulkhead bolt sticks out further that the MK3 one, not sure if the bulkheads are a different pressing or not

Some pics so you can see the differences, I've updated them with some meaningful text.

Aircon Album