Skip to main content
Topic: Found a 1986 mk2 gti in a hedge (Read 499 times) previous topic - next topic

Found a 1986 mk2 gti in a hedge

Hi,

I found this Gti and fell in love a bit. Very original. Haven’t touched an engine in 28 years and spent two months getting it started.  A bit rust as had an inch of water in it. Been in the hedge for 16years. I know it’s gonna ruin me financially but reckon if I can get it an MOT and keep ahead of the rust it might just be worth it.

It’s a 5 door but can I find a bloody drivers side door with a quarter light. No. Any assistance would be very useful :)

Cheers Timmy

Re: Found a 1986 mk2 gti in a hedge

Reply #1
How bad is the rust/rot? If there is surface rust there's a multitude of rust remover/converter products to sort that. Look at the Practical Classics long-term tests for recomendations. Obviously rot will need sorting and could be costly.
It also depends what your expectation is. A usable daily/weekend car that you can use as a long-term project or a good as new. My preference is the former but each to their own. Unless it's really bad it should hold it's value so long as you are careful with the funds.
There's nothing wrong with moredoors either 😊
There is an early driver's door on ebay but try a local scrap yard (long shot but try), Matt at MK2 Spares or Brendon Moss at Dubstock.
There was a recent post on the forum too.
Driver's Door
Please share some pics.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
Thanks Andy,

Its got a bit of everything rust wise.  A new new door and tailgate are the biggest problems but after that its mostly fixable surface rust.  Structurally its pretty good, I'm extremely impressed how it held water inside without going rotten for so many years!!
I'll take the advice  on the rust converter for the engine bay for sure.

I'm not too flash, I'll be happy for now if it just 'looks good from a distance'  :) Just a weekend car for me.

Thanks for the PM. Will add an image when I suss out how to.....

Cheers

Reply #3
Welcome to the forum. If you are not in a rush to get it finished just keep an eye on ebay parts crop up all the time.

Reply #5
Hi and welcome- you could give Mk2Spares a call.
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit