Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel cap does not click when closing (Read 506 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel cap does not click when closing

Hi guys!

I know nothing about cars, but I inherited a Mk2. It needed a respray and some work on first areas of rust, and there was no way I could do it myself, so I paid someone else to do it. And they did a bit of a crappy job re-assembling it. With a lot of effort I've already managed to fix some things, but another one came to light that worries me.

I've noticed that after I got my car back, the gas cap doesn't skip & click. It just stops turning at some point without making a single click. Everything I've managed to find online says something along the lines of "some part must be rusted", but as I mentioned my car just had body repairs and I'm really hoping that's not the case... Do you have any advice on what could the problem be, and what I could check/try to fix it on my own? Is it possible with limited tools and facilities (no pit to get under the car) or should I take it somewhere? Could it just be the cap itself or something?

Re: Fuel cap does not click when closing

Reply #1
Not experienced this problem myself but to me it has to be the cap that's at fault. I would have a good look at the cap and see if it is anything obvious maybe try some lubrication.

Reply #2
Where abouts are you?

Maybe you could meet someone local and try their cap on your car.
That would tell you if it's the tank or the cap.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Does the car have factory fitted air pump central locking?

If so the cap won't have a key, so should just screw to a point where it clicks. The flap locks with the C/L
If the car doesn't have central locking then the cap will have a key.

I assume you have a central locking set up else with a locking cap I don't see how this would be an issue.

I'd suggest getting another cap. The fuel tank is plastic and so is the filler neck. There would be no issue with rust or anything mechanical to fix based on what you've explained.

But you might be able to just clean around the filler neck (obviously very carefully, so you don't get water in the filler neck) and clean the cap, and use some lubricating spray on the inside. I think you may find some small holes on the inside which you should be able to spray directly into with the little tube that'll come with a spray lube.

Does the flap close properly when the cap is fitted?

Reply #4
Thanks for your input guys! I'm really relieved to hear it's probably just the cap.

Yes, my car has central locking, no lock on the cap. The flap closes fully (it's not like the cap protrudes so much it stops the flap from closing or anything), but be honest I haven't tested if the C/L locks the fuel tank properly.

I tried cleaning the cap and the outside of the filler neck with a paper towel right before creating this thread because it was the only thing I could think of :) , it looked clean at first sight afterwards but still didn't work, but after reading your replies I gave it another chance. I thought I got most of the grime the first time, so was surprised to find quite a bit more. It seems to be closing better now, like it can actually manage a click before getting stuck, which is a relief.

I need to wait for the weekend to be able to go to a place where I can comfortably clean even more carefully. In case it still feels dodgy, I will try obtaining another cap (I'm currently in continental Europe, so meeting someone from here is probably not an option). I'll update when I can, but it's going to be embarrassing if that's all it was :D

Reply #5
There is no need to be embarrassed its all a learning curve.