Skip to main content
Topic: Values (Read 462 times) previous topic - next topic

Values

Hi New to the forum, am interested in getting a 1989 Volkswagen Golf MK:2 CL , any idea what the prices are for a fully recon model.

Re: Values

Reply #1
That is a hard question to answer.
If you want a fully restored, like new car then it will cost you more than it is worth from a dealer and you may never recoup the cost. But that may not bother you.
I would think the most cost-effective solution would be to buy the best available that hasn't been messed about with.
If you are more flexible on model I've seen what "appear" to be very good low mileage Driver models under £4K. But then I haven't seen them and low mileage is not always a good indicator of condition.
Just be very careful not to buy one that looks nice an shiny but under the surface is a money-pit.
You are best trawling the ads and go viewing some.
You may find using a search engine like newsnow classifieds saves trawling the main platforms individually.
If you are very lucky someone on here may have one that satisfies your requirements at a reasonable price.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
Thanks for your opinions, Regards, Phil

Reply #3
You are very unlikely to find a fully recon CL.  There isn't the money in them finished to justify the work.  As AndyBa says, look for a good original one.

Reply #4
My take on this. The cost of a full restoration is going to be anything from £7000 to £15,000. With the lower end being doing most of the labour yourself. Obviously the more the car needs, and the less you’re able to do yourself. The price could easily be above £20k.

Now, finding one that’s been restored might be tricky as it’s the more desirable models that people tend to want to save, GTI, G60 etc.

For what particular reason do you want a GL?

Also if it’s been restored how do you know how well it’s been done?

My preference would be fond the best example of the car you want in the most original unmolested condition you can, but expect to have to do some work.

So if you’ve got a £10k budget That might be a £2k car and budget £8k for restoration. Or maybe a £5i car that is good to use as is straight away but to get it to where you want it might need £5k spend on it over the next few years.

Base spec cars tend to be quite sought after, their simplicity adds charm, so a good C model could be a better investment than a GL.

If you don’t want to go down the modified route then condition and originality are key. If you’re happy to modify and make a car yours the starting model doesn’t really matter, you just need a good shell.