Skip to main content
Topic: Hi all (Read 749 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi all

Hello folks!
I'm Tudor, 32, living somewhere near Manchester and thought about joining you after I've discovered a Golf MK2 at work, all mouldy and abandoned.
What do I know about the car? Well...little towards nothing. Rumors say that it stood in the main yard for a couple of years and a couple of months ago it has been moved by the side of the main building. It has no reg plate on it(that should be sorted by next month) and, again, rumors say it's a 1992. It has on front and back a "Driver" badge and it's a 1.8.
So far I've managed to change the spark plugs, fuel and air filters and got rid of the mould. However, the roof lining is all but collapsed inside due to moisture.

So...thanks for having me and get ready to be bombarded with questions :D I just want to see this little car having a better life(even if I'm not the owner)

Re: Hi all

Reply #1
welcome to the forum. The forum is always ready for questions.

Reply #2
Welcome along.  If you can, get some pics up, we love seeing a restoration here!

FYI, if you're replacing the headlining, I can recommend the ones on eBay from the seller headliner-world.
I bought one of theirs a year ago and it fitted a treat.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
@Eddypeck in a scrapyard. The owner's son likes old cars and saves them from the crusher. However, the problem is that he forgets about them(next in line is a mid 70's Volvo I've found today behind a giant pile of wheels)

As for the car's issues...well, the headlining is the last one of them. Still fighting the moisture from inside the car and realised that she doesn't like to start in the morning(has fresh oil, full of vitamins and dinosaurs, filters, spark plugs...and yet she doesn't like it)

Got a pic from this morning but...how do I add it here?

Reply #5
With regards to water, look at this, https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=136.0 there are some common and well-documented problem areas.

As for uploading pic, you need to host the pic somewhere on the web, such as a Flickr account, then add the link. You should see the picture icon in the toolbar when editing a post. You can post the URL for the image in there and it should display on the page.

Reply #6
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196957495@N02/52505230397/in/dateposted-public/

Well...hope it works. This is a pic from this morning, after 8 attempts to start it. He rolled out of his grave like a champ. Took a couple of laps of the yard, stopped for a quick pic(this one) and then parked it back. I'm happy to be honest because, even if it's not mine, he lives a bit.
As for the ownership...been asked by my Manager if I want to buy it(so I assume that a V5 exists somewhere in the office). But seeing that they go over 1k, sadly I'll have to just keep the old boy alive.

The problem with the water I know it(sunroof leaks badly). It has been siliconed at some point by someone. However, the weather doesn't help me at all. So I'll wait for spring and sort it out. Untill then, there is a tarp over the roof, just as a precaution.

LE: full set of pics(and a vid) which have been done since I've found the car: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAfF8Y

Reply #7
Hi and welcome:)
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #9
are there news from the little car
(the color should be montana green) ? :-)

if you can't get a better deal somewhere else,
you could buy the car.

as you know, it ist very reliable
and you can do much of the maintenance yourself.
so it probably will reimburse you later ;-)

edit: there is some info about the driver-model.