Skip to main content
Topic: 1.8 PB (Pierburg carb) non start  (Read 524 times) previous topic - next topic

1.8 PB (Pierburg carb) non start

Hey everyone really hope this is the right place if not happy to be re-directed!

My 1.8 PB needed a new subframe so it’s been up on stands since approximately start of December. Due to weather and work etc I’ve only just managed to get the new frame, arms, and other bits and bobs sorted (new Earth points/leads etc).

During this time I pulled out a non standard radio and wiring to a speaker in the boot space. This had a wire into one of the fuse sockets (no17) which I’ve replaced with a 20amp fuse for the time being. I’ve roughly built the car back up inside and yesterday tried to turn it over, no good - cranks but no turn over.

It tried once or twice but didn’t go. Used to start exceptionally quickly tbh which is why I’m pretty disappointed! The fuel filter seems to be very low of fuel inside and when I click on the ignition I can’t hear any fuel pump prime (not sure I should tbh I’m going mad after today).

I’ve checked the fuses as I say and all good. Cranks absolutely sweet it’s just like it’s not getting any fuel whatsoever. The car does have a “kill switch” installed into a second hazard switch to the right of the steering wheel, which used to cause a similar thing if switched on - crank but no start, but I’ve checked that - swapped the switches over no bother, it’s literally 2 spade connectors to 2 wires so can’t see how it would be that - however am open to any suggestions after today and before I go down the inevitable rabbit hole!

Wondered if it would be a priming thing? But can’t see anything to do so. Sorry for war and peace! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: 1.8 PB non start

Reply #1
Your car should definitely be priming when you turn the key.
To double check the fuel, there is a screw on the end of the fuel rail nearest the gearbox.
Have that out and put a piece of pipe leading to a bottle or something, then turn the ignition on, it should fill some into the bottle.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Awesome thanks will give that a go. I’ve ordered a relay just as a precaution as checked the resistance and it seemed pretty low but was clutching at straws a bit seeing as I lost the light! Will give that a go later and see where we’re at. Cheers!

Reply #3
Just re-read your message, you have a 1.8pb (gti) and you can see the fuel in your fuel filter?
The GTIs all have metal under car filters. Has someone fitted an extra one?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Ah… that’s my fault. I referred to PB as Pierburg carb… on reflection and a quick google I realise now that’s the GTI engine code. Maybe I can change the title? It’s a 1.8 non gti engine but not 100% on the code, suspect the 85 or 90 hp model - will have a look later see if I can find the code on the block. Apologies for that!

Re: 1.8 PB (Pierburg carb) non start

Reply #6
Amazing thank you! I’ll have a look later and confirm. Lesson learnt 😂

Reply #7
Just a thought, looking back at your original message a couple of things stand out.

1. a non-standard radio, not removed.
2. a non-standard kill switch.

So there's going to be some non-standard wiring related to these two things. Could it be possible that the way the stereo was wired up somehow had a dependence on the kill switch? Ie. using a shared live from either the fusebox or ignition switch and that somehow that dependency has been upset by what you've done.

Reply #8
I suspect you may be right.

I’m definitely not getting fuel but the fuse is fine, relay seems okay but trying a replacement today just to try prior to stripping back the dash and wiring.

Next steps this weekend if the relay doesn’t change anything is to re-install all the wiring and non standard radio I removed, then everything will be back “to normal” and work backwards from there. Really just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything (priming etc ) before I went any deeper.

Unfortunately I think you may be correct and it’s all linked.

Reply #9
We’re running again! Thanks everyone for your input. Plenty to do prior to MOT and such before use but it’s running again. Refitted everything and still wouldn’t go, after a little bit of brake cleaner and dipping the throttle at the right time it went after quite a few turnovers. Running well though now.
Killswitch leaving the killswitch in but the radio has come back out as it didn’t effect the running so must’ve been a bit of a red herring. Although I’m now not getting power to the unit but that’s a better problem to have than the first! Thanks again everyone.