engine choice

1.6 original
[ 2 ] (50%)
1.8t conversion
[ 2 ] (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Topic: Mk2 golf value  (Read 492 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 golf value

I've got a 3 door 1.6 driver small bumper original interior, with a webber carb conversion.
I've upgraded the braking system by fitting gti rear beam and front 280 discs. and lowering the car slightly and fitting bbs reps
I'm now toying with the idea of fitting 1.8t but I'm. not sure what's best to go with for the best value of the car after.
keeping the 1.6 or fitting the 1.8t

Re: Mk2 golf value

Reply #1
From what I've seen standard drivers only fetch strong money if they're immaculate.

Personally, I think you have already modified it a fair bit and there will be no real downside to doing the conversion, as long as it's done well.  A nicely installed, reliable 20v conversion that looks and drives well will be appealing to potential future buyers.  If it looks like it's been lashed in by a blind dog, no one will want it!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
From what I've seen standard drivers only fetch strong money if they're immaculate.

Personally, I think you have already modified it a fair bit and there will be no real downside to doing the conversion, as long as it's done well.  A nicely installed, reliable 20v conversion that looks and drives well will be appealing to potential future buyers.  If it looks like it's been lashed in by a blind dog, no one will want it!

I 100% agree.

It's also worth considering the age of the car, which you don't state.
If it's an early car there's potentially only a couple of years before it becomes tax and mot exempt, which I expect will make it much more desirable with a years road tax now over £300 if paying direct debit.

An engine swap 'may' make it unable to be exempt. If you have a late car that's not really a concern for now, but depends how long you intend keeping it.

Reply #3
IMHO a well done 1.8T conversion will cost you more than the car will be worth if you try to sell it. As others have said the better general condition and more standard it is the higher the potential value, but if it's not a GTi or in very good nick it probably won't make you rich.

Depends what you're trying to do but if it's in alright condition I'd say get it valeted / cleaned up and advertise it for an optimistic value and see what happens. You never know!