Skip to main content
Topic: Prices of everything (Read 519 times) previous topic - next topic

Prices of everything

It's doing my head in what people are asking for everything. Take wheels for example, I've been looking recently.

I know times change, but the increase has nothing to do with inflation as such, it's just greed based on what people can get away with, and when everyone jumps on the same bandwagon it becomes the norm for what people are willing to pay.

It used to be (and not that long ago) you could pick up a set of OK wheels with legal tyres for around £100-150.
£200-300 and you'd be looking at something quite nice you could give a clean and arrive at a meet or show ground without embarrassment.

Now everywhere I look, the best you're getting is £300+ for a set of bare rims, that need a refurb, which will be £100 a wheel for anywhere around here. Plus tyres and fitting.

It's at the point where it's cheaper to by new online. Ok the choice might be limited but you can get an 'OK' aftermarket set of alloys with a (budget to low-level branded) tyre deal for around £800.

I'll tell you what, I think my days of Mk2 ownership are seriously limited. It's supposed to be a fun cheap hobby, but I'm being out-priced. I can't afford it anymore. Road tax is over £300, I've another 9 years before it's exempt. And I can't drive it into or through Bristol (my hometown) anymore, now they've introduced Clean Air Zone charging.

And since COVID I've been working from home. I go into work a couple of times a week and usually take my bike. So as a family we don't really need it as a 2nd car. That was proven over the last 4 months while it sat on the drive out of MOT. Whilst it was frustrating and I wanted to drive it, I didn't need to.

Moan over  ::)

Re: Prices of everything

Reply #1
Honestly, its gutting me. I managed to find and buy back my first MK2, paid the same that I sold it for 8 years ago, and its a rolling wreck missing all the good bits I sourced for it as a poor student. I remember thinking I was mad paying £100 for G60 arches!

Hoped to get it back together on the road as a useable retro daily but with the cost of putting it right, I'm better just buying another one I reckon.

Reply #2
Sadly its bound to happen mk2 are getting old now and spares are getting  "uncommon" r.

Reply #3
I'm in exactly the same scenario Eddy - Cars  "uncommon" ly used now I work from home. I'm local to Bristol too, but thankfully not too close that I have to drive in often. The bus is still the best option for me and Bristol. It annoys me what has increased in price with no element of actual inflation like you said - parts people already have. There's a lot of people including the energy companies profiteering out of this situation and it gets harder by the day to justify these "luxuries"

Reply #4
Bargains are still there to be had but they are getting harder to find. I think we were chatting about wheels in particular the other month and I have picked up what I consider to be sensibly priced wheels, ok i had to drive best part of 300 miles to get them 😅 where do you look for parts Tim? I get stuck in a rut with ebay and Facebook marketplace usually

Reply #5
Well I was watching some wheels on eBay. They were polo/lupo gti wheels. The split rim bbs.

They were starting bid of £340 that wasn’t too bad compared to anything else. Freshly painted so didn’t need a refurb and with newish tyres even though they were budget. Not long left and zero bids.

A few things kept me from bidding.

1. They were 2 hours away
2. The tyres were budget as mentioned but also 165 width. Now they didn’t look like there was stretch so after they only 5” rims?
3. I think split rims are just another unnecessary failure point.

Anyway I watched till the end, they got one bid and sold for the starting price.

A day later relisted with a starting bid of £550.

So clearly some poor sod won, then got shafted with a cancelled sale. So just as well I didn’t bid, I’d be right peed.

But yeah, eBay Facebook marketplace and gumtree is still sometimes good for a local bargain.

Still holding out for a lotto win.

I did see a set of 15” le casteletts in good condition for £300 posted. But wasn’t sure that’s what I want. Plus I just couldn’t bring myself to believe they’re worth that much.

Reply #6
I Will keep an eye out for wheels for you. I find the sellers can be the issue, some are very hard work! I get frustrated with adds that state they are free or say offers.

I've made what I consider to be sensible offers and get responses like they're worth 3x times that! I offered a guy 350 for a set of 15 inch oz super turismos with no tyres. Turns out he wanted £1k 😳

I've had success with a wanted post on ebay. Maybe worth ago if you know what you're after? Turns out the guy I bought from hates selling stuff because of dealing with idiots but his mate had seen my wanted post and put me in touch.

Reply #7
Ah the perils of buying and selling! Recently used eBay to sell a caravan. Honest ad saying it had damp. Bidding went silly and as it transpired the winner cancelled. Offered for second chance and one person wanted to lower his offer. I decided he wasn't having it on principle! Readvertised bidding when high again. Did a whatsapp viewing to the eventual winner prior to his highest bid He said he was buying it to put the fittings in a van then never turned-up. The person who actually bought it was the only one who viewed it and I sold it to him for a lower price than his bid.
There's seem to be people out there just trying to bid prices up for the fun of it!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
Funny you mention caravans Andy, we have been looking at swapping our van for one! Sorry to hear your struggles selling, I guess people can hide behind computer screens these days without much thought for the buyer/seller