Skip to main content
Topic: MRK 2 1992 Golf VDO Dash Wiring Issue  (Read 780 times) previous topic - next topic

MRK 2 1992 Golf VDO Dash Wiring Issue

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could please save me from the nightmare I have put myself in (stupidly may I add), to cut to the chase in my mrk 2 golf I've managed to break some of the pins off the multi plug connector at the bottom of the VDO instrument cluster where they fix onto the plastic pvc wiring board.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that would be able to repair this, I'm going to phone around after the weekend, but if there is a company anyone has used in the past they know can do it or would reccomend, I would greatly be appreciated.

Alternatively if there is a company that sells new ones etc, that is also an option I could take. I'm open to other suggestions I know most people would probably suggest trying to source another second hand unit and do and swap, but I will try and avoid that for the meantime until other options have been exhausted first. The reason being you have to try and find one where the pvc is in good working order which I imagine might be quite difficult these days, and then having to make sure all the other common faults are not present or rectified. 

Re: MRK 2 1992 Golf VDO Dash Wiring Issue

Reply #1
Sorry I don’t know if anyone but it might be worth ringing round some local auto-electricity companies.

I fear you may still need to get other set of clocks for spare parts.

What year? CE1 or CE2 the latter has the hazard switch as a push button in to of the steering cowl. CE1 is a rocker switch in the dash panel.

I might have some ce1 spares, from a donor set of clocks. I’d have to check, but if replacing the whole clocks isn’t what you want to do.

Reply #2
Hi thanks for your reply,

Going by what you've described it is CE2, if it comes to it I will replace the whole unit, but it is where the terminals of the plug attach to the PCB board is what has torn. So if I source a replacement the PCB board will have to be intact, which already knowing that they degrade etc, I know won't be an easy find.

Reply #3
which pin have you broken off ?

can you find it on this picture, hosted by abload and linked on doppel-wobber ? :

Reply #4
Hey thanks for the reply,

I think that loom is from a gti model, but more to the point it is different from mine, on my cluster there is only the one plug on the left side.

The plug is black and slots into a white plastic outer housing which then clips to the dash and holds it in place.

If you were to look at the plug from a birds eye view, there are electrical terminals that come from the plug and attach directly to the board. The plastic has torn and they have come off the board but are still attached to the plug.

I don't know where to upload photos to then provide a link to it, I don't really want to sign up to anything, which is why I haven't uploaded any. I hope by description makes sense though.

Reply #5
If there is only one plug then its ce2 electric instruments.

Reply #6
for a dirty fix you could perhaps make cable bridges to solderable surfaces (resistorwires, brigewires..).

in case you still want to upload an image,
there are still image hosters, where you can upload without signing up.

you could for instance look what we are using,
search for "image upload"
or try the account @vw-widow has set up.

Reply #7
for a dirty fix you could perhaps make cable bridges to solderable surfaces (resistorwires, brigewires..).

in case you still want to upload an image,
there are still image hosters, where you can upload without signing up.

you could for instance look what we are using,
search for "image upload"
or try the account @vw-widow has set up.

Thanks for that I have now uploaded some photos of the damage in my original post, hopefully that clears things up.

Reply #8
if you have time, you could possibly replace this foil by cables altogether.

edit: for instance ring lugs on the screws,
resistors and stuff on a (holepattern)-circuitboard or inline using shrinktubing.

Reply #9
if you have time, you could possibly replace this foil by cables altogether.

edit: for instance ring lugs on the screws,
resistors and stuff on a (holepattern)-circuitboard or inline using shrinktubing.

I have been looking into making a complete replacement, I know there are kits for t3's for exactly that purpose, t3's also have the same features on their dash, yes the layout etc is slightly different etc, but I am trying to find advice on whether I can just plug it in to the relevant places, using the original face plates, or whether the face plates actually need changing. If you have any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Reply #10
talking about the layout,
you could also etch, mill
or order the manufacturing of a circuitboard,
if you want to make it very nice.

could you post a link about such a t3 kit ?
i would be curious how they have solved the issue.

what do you mean with face-plate's ?
is it about the plugs on the back of the instrument cluster ?

edit: spelling

Reply #11
Hey thanks for your reply, I have been busy so apologies for late reply, so when I say face plate, mean the speedometer gauge the actual bit with the numbers on, same with the tachometer. 

In regards to the kits there are a few company's selling these kits, that are trusted by T3 owners, here is the one which could work with a Mrk 2 golf, as it has the same features (digital clock, tachometer): https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/dashboard-pcb-replacement-kit-t3-with-rev-counter-and-lcd-clock/, If you want to see how to install a kit this website also sell a kit, and at the bottom of the page is a youtube video of the installation process, which might be more what your looking for: https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-vanagon-dash-pod-cluster-master-repair-kit/.

Reply #12
all i have done is taking off the dashboard.

everything else i tell you out of my imagination.

without further information, i would not be able to tell you
if a t3 cluster would be compatible with a mk2 one.

if not somebody else in the forum or the internet,
there is volkswagen, maybe even their museum,
witch should be able to answer such questions.

you could however compare the conductor paths
and modules of the kit and see if it is electrically identical
with the foil assembly.
maybe you could ask the dealer, if you could send it back
if it does not match.

another thing to consider is the shape of the circuit boards of the kit
being adapted to the shape of a t3 cluster, which is different from a mk2 one.

i would grab the soldering iron and skip the expensive kit.